Professor Paul W Groundwater
Associate Dean (Learning & Teaching)
Professor of Medicinal Chemistry
BSc (Chemistry), PhD (Organic Chemistry), CSci, CChem, FRSC
Phone: +61 2 9114 1232
Fax: +61 2 9351 4391
Pharmacy Building A15
The University of Sydney
- The design, synthesis and testing of novel agents for the treatment of cancer and psoriasis
- New chromogenic methods for the detection of bacteria
- The identification of the active principle of medicinal plants.
Professor Paul Groundwater has recently been appointed as Professor of Medicinal Chemistry in the Faculty of Pharmacy. Paul’s research interests include the design and synthesis of novel agents for the treatment of cancer and psoriasis, the identification of the active principle of medicinal plants, and new methods for the detection of bacteria. Paul has a Bachelor of Science and Doctorate in Chemistry from the University of Edinburgh. In 1987-1988, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Australian National University, Canberra then returned to the UK to join Professor Malcolm Stevens at the Cancer Research Campaign Experimental Chemotherapy Research Group, Aston University. In 1989 Paul was appointed as a lecturer in the Department of Chemistry, Cardiff University. In 1996 he was appointed to a Readership in Organic Chemistry in the Institute of Pharmacy and Chemistry at the University of Sunderland and was promoted to Professor, in the Sunderland Pharmacy School, in 2001. Paul was the Centre Director of ChemiSPEC, a business providing spectroscopic services to industry, and was the Team Leader of the Drug Design and Analysis group in the Sunderland University Pharmacy School in the UK. He has published more than 60 papers, two books and 3 patents. He is a Guest Professor in the School of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology, Tianjin University, Tianjin, P.R. China.
- Zhao, Y, Groundwater, P, Hibbs, D E, Nguyen, P K, Narlawar, R 2011, (1E,4Z,6E)-5-Hydroxy-1,7-bis(2-meth-oxyphenyl)-1,4,6-heptatrien-3-one, Acta Crystallographica. Section E: Structure Reports Online, E67(8), o1885
- Rowe, A M, Narlawar, R, Groundwater, P, Ramzan, I M 2011, Kavalactone Pharmacophores for Major Cellular Drug Targets, Mini - Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, 11(1), 79-83
- George, S, Anderson, R, Cunningham, A, Donaldson, M, Groundwater, P 2010, Evaluation of a Range of Anti-Proliferative Assays for the Preclinical Screening of Anti-Psoriatic Drugs: A Comparison of Colorimetric and Fluorimetric Assays with the Thymidine Incorporation Assay, ASSAY and Drug Development Technologies, 8(3), 384-395
- Marth, G, Anderson, R, Thompson, B, Ashton, M, Groundwater, P 2010, Chemo- and Regioselectivity in the Reactions of Polyfunctional Pyrroles, Tetrahedron, 66(32), 6113-6120
- Yan, Z, Liu, J, Lu, D, Groundwater, P, He, C, Li, P 2010, A new 3,4-seco-lupane-type triterpenoid from the pulp of Acanthopanax senticosus (Rupr. et Maxim) Harms, Natural Product Research, 24(16), 1523-1527
- Synthesis and Evaluation of Novel Chromogenic Peptidase Substrates Based on 9-(4'-Aminophenyl)-10-methylacridinium Salts as Diagnostic Tools in Clinical Bacteriology, RJ Anderson, PW Groundwater, Y Huang, AL James, S Orenga, A Rigby, C Roger-Dalbert, and JD Perry, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Letters, 2008, 18, 832-835 (doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2007.11.018).
- Synthesis and Testing of Chromogenic Phenoxazinone Substrates for -Alanyl Aminopeptidase, AV Zaytsev, RJ Anderson, A Bedernjak, PW Groundwater, Y Huang, JD Perry, S Orenga, C Roger-Dalbert, and A James, Org. & Biomol. Chem., 2008, 8, 682-692 (doi: 10.1039/b716978g).
- Naturally Occurring Esterification Reactions with Bryostatin, G Abadi, TJ Manning, K McLeod, D Phillips, P Groundwater, L Noble, and T Potter, Natural Product Research, 2008, 22, 865-878 (doi: 10.1080/14786410701642466).
- 1,7-Electrocyclizations of Azomethine Ylides; Scope and Synthetic Aspects, M Nyerges, J Tóth and PW Groundwater, Synlett, 2008, 1269 (doi: 10.1055/s-2008-1072743).
- A New Synthetic Method for the 2H-[1,2,3]Thiadiazolo[5,4-b]indoles, ML Kondratieva, AV Pepeleva, NP Belskaia, AV Koksharov, P Groundwater, K Robeyns, LV Meervelt, W Dehaen, Z-J Fan, and VA Bakulev, Tetrahedron, 2007, 63, 3042-3048. (doi:10.1016/j.tet.2007.01.059).
- 1,7-Electrocyclization Reactions of Stabilized α,β:γ,δ-Unsaturated Azomethine Ylides, J Tóth, A Dancsó, G Blaskó, L Tõke, PW Groundwater and M Nyerges, Tetrahedron, 2006, 62, 5725-5735.
- Design, Synthesis and Initial in vitro Evaluation of Novel Prodrugs for the Treatment of Cystinosis, RJ Anderson, D Cairns, WA Cardwell, M Case, PW Groundwater, AG Hall, L Hogarth, AL Jones, O Meth-Cohn, P Suryadevara, A Tindall, and JG Thoene, Letters Drug Design Devel., 2006, 3, 336-345.
- A History of Bryostatins: A Prominent Marine Natural Product, G Abadi, W Palen, J Geddings, T Irwin, N Kasali, J Colyer, F Goodsen, J Smith, K Jones, R Loftis, J Hester, L Noble, PW Groundwater, and TJ Manning, Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants, 2006, 15, 370-411.
Synthesis of Gossypol Atropisomers and Derivatives and Evaluation of Their Anti-Proliferative and Anti-Oxidant Activity, K Dodou, RJ Anderson, WJ Lough, DAP Small, MD Shelley, and PW Groundwater, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2005, 13, 4228-4237.
- Regioselectivity in the Reactions of Polyfunctionalised Pyrroles with Nucleophiles, AV Zaytsev, RJ Anderson, O Meth-Cohn and PW Groundwater, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61, 5831-5836.
- Silver Acetate Catalysed Asymmetric 1,3-Dipolar Cycloadditions of Imines and Chiral Acrylamides, M Nyerges, D Bendell, A Arany, D E Hibbs, SJ Coles, MB Hursthouse, PW Groundwater, and O Meth-Cohn, Tetrahedron, 2005, 61, 3745-3753.
- Nouveaux Substrats Enzymatiques Dérivés de Phénoxazinone et Leur Utilisation Comme Révélateur Dans la Détection de Micro-organismes à Activité Peptidase, RJ Anderson, PW Groundwater, AL James, D Monget, AV Zaytsev, PCT/FR05/02249 (WO 2006/030119), 23/03/2006.
- Novel Agents for the Treatment of Psoriasis, RJ Anderson, Y Gong, PW Groundwater and DAP Small, PCT/GB2007/004416 (WO/2008/062167), 29/5/2008.
- Organic Chemistry for Students of Health and Life Sciences, 4th Edition, PW Groundwater and GA Taylor, Addison Wesley Longman Publishers, London, ISBN