Professor Michael Murray
Professor of Pharmacogenomics (Pharmaceutics)
B Pharm (Hons I) Sydney 1978
PhD Sydney 1982
DSc Sydney 1996
University of Sydney
Phone: +61 2 9351 2326
Fax: +61 2 9351 6950
Pharmacy Building A15
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia
Medical Foundation Building:
Phone: +61 2 9036 3259
FAX: +61 2 9351 4447
Medical Foundation Building K25
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia
- Human drug metabolism
- Cytochrome P450 (CYP) pharmacogenetics
- CYP regulation by drugs, nutrients and endobiotics
- Adverse drug reactions caused by reactive drug metabolites
- Drug-drug interactions due to inhibition of P450 enzymes
Michael Murray graduated with a Bachelor of Pharmacy with First Class Honours and a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from the University of Sydney. After undertaking postdoctoral research with CF Wilkinson in the Institute for Comparative and Environmental Toxicology at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY he returned to Westmead Hospital and was appointed as an HMRC Research Fellow in 1987, promoted to NHMRC Senior Research Fellow in 1989 and to NHMRC Principal Research Fellow in 1994. In 1995 he received a D.Sc. from The University of Sydney. After 5 years at UNSW in The School of Physiology and Pharmacology, he returned in July, 2003 to the University of Sydney's Faculty of Pharmacy to take up the inaugural Chair of Pharmacogenomics. The Pharmacogenomics and Drug Development research laboratory is located in the Faculty's new laboratories in the Medical Foundation Building.
Michael Murray is the author of 142 original papers and 27 review articles since 1982 and has presented 70 invited seminars, workshops and symposia in Australia, North America, Singapore and the United Kingdom. He was the 2002 ASCEPT visitor to the British Toxicology Society. He has been associated with the International Society for the Study of Xenobiotics (as Councillor 1986-1989), the Australasian Society for Clinical and Experimental Pharmacologists and Toxicologists (Councillor and convenor of the Drug Metabolism, Delivery and Pharmacokinetics section 2000-2003 and Deputy Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee 2002-present) and the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (Research Advisory Committee 1989-1995). He currently serves on the editorial boards of Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, Xenobiotica and Current Drug Metabolism and was a recent member of the editorial board of the Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology.
- Dr Sarah Cui (Postdoctoral Associate)
- Dr Sussan Ghassabian (Postdoctoral Associate)
- Dr Tristan Rawlings (Postdoctoral Associate)
- Dorothy To (PhD Candidate)
- Several Pharmacy (advanced) and Visiting international students
- Dr Rob Edwards (Clinical Pharmacology, Imperial College, University of London, Hammersmith Hospital)
- Prof Iqbal Ramzan (Faculty of Pharmacy)
- A/Prof Howard Gurney (Department of Medical Oncology, Westmead Hospital)
- Prof Andrew McLachlan (Faculty of Pharmacy)
- Toh, S, Murray, M, Tan, K, Mulay, V, Grewal, T, Lee, E, Zhou, F F 2011, Functional analysis of pharmacogenetic variants of human organic cation/carnitine transporter 2 (hOCTN2) identified in Singaporean populations, Biochemical Pharmacology, 82(11), 1692-1699
- Zhou, F F, Lee, AC, Krafczyk, K, Zhu, L, Murray, M 2011, Protein Kinase C Regulates the Internalization and Function of the Human Organic Anion Transporting Polypeptide 1A2, British Journal of Pharmacology, 162(6), 1380-1388
- Cui, P H S, Petrovic, N, Murray, M 2011, The -3 Epoxide of Eicosapentaenoic Acid Inhibits Endothelial Cell Proliferation by p38 MAP Kinase Activation and Cyclin D1/CDK4 Down-Regulation, British Journal of Pharmacology, 162(5), 1143-1155
- Crettol, S, Petrovic, N, Murray, M 2010, Pharmacogenetics of phase I and phase II drug metabolism, Current Pharmaceutical Design, 16(2), 204-219
- Cui, P H S, Lee, AC, Zhou, F F, Murray, M 2010, Impaired transactivation of the human CYP2J2 arachidonic acid epoxygenase gene in HepG2 cells subjected to nitrative stress, British Journal of Pharmacology, 159(7), 1440-1449
- D'Esposito, F, Nebot, N, Edwards, R, Murray, M 2010, Impaired irinotecan biotransformation in hepatic microsomal fractions from patients with chronic liver disease, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 70(3), 400-408
- Lee, AC, Murray, M 2010, Up-Regulation of Human CYP2J2 in HepG2 Cells by Butylated Hydroxyanisole Is Mediated by c-Jun and Nrf2, Molecular Pharmacology, 77(6), 987-994
- Li, Y, Saito, Y, Kuwahara, K, Rong, X, Kishimoto, I, Harada, M, Horiuchi, M, Murray, M, Nakao, K 2010, Vasodilator therapy with hydralazine inducesangiotensin AT2 receptor-mediated cardiomyocytegrowth in mice lacking guanylyl cyclase-A, British Journal of Pharmacology, 159, 1133-1142
- Murray, M 2010, Cytochromes P450: Roles in the Biotransformation of Chemicals in Cigarette Smoke and Impact of Smoking Cessation on Concurrent Drug Therapy, Journal of Smoking Cessation, 5(2), 107-114
- Murray, M, Cui, P H S, Zhou, F F 2010, Roles of Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases in the Regulation of CYP Genes, Current Drug Metabolism, 11(10), 850-858
- Nebot, N, Crettol, S, D'Esposito, F, Tattam, B N, Hibbs, D E, Murray, M 2010, Participation of CYP2C8 and CYP3A4 in the N-demethylation of imatinib in human hepatic microsomes, British Journal of Pharmacology, 161(5), 1059-1069
- Petrovic, N, Murray, M 2010, Using N,N,N',N'-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine (TMPD) to assay cyclooxygenase activity in vitro, Methods in Molecular Biology: Advanced Protocols in Oxidative Stress II., Humana Press, New York USA, 1, 129-140
- Rawling, T, Duke, C C, Cui, P H S, Murray, M 2010, Facile and Stereoselective Synthesis of (Z)-15-Octadecenoic Acid and (Z)-16-Nonadecenoic Acid: Monounsaturated Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Lipids, 45(2), 159-165
- Rong, X, Li, Y, Ebihara, K, Zhao, M, Naowaboot, J, Kusakabe, T, Kuwahara, K, Murray, M, Nakao, K 2010, Angiotensin II type 1 receptor-independent beneficial effects of telmisartan on dietary-induced obesity, insulin resistance and fatty liver in mice, Diabetologia: clinical and experimental diabetes and metabolism, 53, 1727-1731
- Rong, X, Li, Y, Ebihara, K, Zhao, M, Kusakabe, T, Tomita, T, Murray, M, Nakao, K 2010, Irbesartan treatment up-regulates hepatic expression of PPARalpha and its target genes in obese Koletsky (fa(k)/fa(k)) rats: a link to amelioration of hypertriglyceridaemia, British Journal of Pharmacology, 160(7), 1796-1807
- Toh, S, Yee, J, Koo, S, Murray, M, Lee, E 2010, Genetic Variations of the SLC22A5 Gene in the Chinese and Indian Populations of Singapore, Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, 25(1), 112-119
- Zhou, F F, Zhu, L, Cui, P H S, Church, W B, Murray, M 2010, Functional characterization of nonsynonymous single nucleotide polymorphisms in the human organic anion transporter 4 (hOAT4), British Journal of Pharmacology, 159, 419-427
- Cui, P. H., Zhang, W. V., Hook, J., Tattam, B. N., Duke, C. C., and Murray, M., 2009, Synthesis and NMR characterization of the methyl esters of eicosapentaenoic acid monoepoxides, Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 159, 30-37
- Chetty, M., D'Esposito, F., Zhang, W. V., Glen, J., Dore, G., Stankovic, Z., Edwards, R., Ramzan, I. M., and Murray, M., 2009, In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the inhibition potential of risperidone toward clozapine biotransformation, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 68, 574-579
- Ghassabian, S., Chetty, M., Tattam, B. N., Glen, J., Rahme, J., Stankovic, Z., Ramzan, I. M., Murray, M., and McLachlan, A. J., 2009, A High-Throughput Assay Using Liquid ChromatographyTandem Mass Spectrometry for Simultaneous In Vivo Phenotyping of 5 Major Cytochrome P450 Enzymes in Patients, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 31, 239-246
- Xu, H., Murray, M., and McLachlan, A. J., 2009, Influence of Genetic Polymorphisms on the Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Sulfonylurea Drugs, Current Drug Metabolism, 10, 643-658
- Rong, X., Li, Y., Ebihara, K., Zhao, M., Aini, W., Kusakabe, T., Hirata, M., Miyamoto, L., Murray, M., and Nakao, K., 2009, An Adipose Tissue-Independent Insulin-Sensitizing Action of Telmisartan: a Study in Lipodystrophic Mice, Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, 331, 1096-1103
- Toh, u. L., Koo, S., Limenta, L., Yee, J., Murray, M., and Lee, E., 2009, Genetic Variations of the SLC22A4 Gene in Chinese and Indian Populations of Singapore, Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, 24, 475-481
- Li, Y., Saito, Y., Kuwahara, K., Rong, X., Kishimoto, I., Harada, M., Adachi, Y., Nakanishi, M., Kinoshita, H., Horiuchi, M., Murray, M., and Nakao, K., 2009, Guanylyl Cyclase-A Inhibits Angiotensin II Type 2 Receptor-Mediated Pro-Hypertrophic Signaling in the Heart, Endocrinology, 150, 3759-3765
- He, L., Qi, Y., Rong, X., Jiang, J., Yang, Q., Yamahara, J., Murray, M., and Li, Y., 2009, The Ayurvedic medicine Salacia oblonga attenuates diabetic renal fibrosis in rats: suppression of angiotensin II/AT1 signaling, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine (e C A M), 1 of 13-13 of 13
- N Petrovic and M Murray. Using N,N,N’,N’-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine (TMPD) to assay cyclooxygenase activity in vitro. Invited chapter in Methods in Molecular Biology, vol 594. Advanced Protocols for Oxidative Stress II, edited by D Armstrong (Humana Press/Springer, Totowa, USA), Chapter 9, pp129-140, 2009.
- D'Esposito, F, Tattam, B N, Ramzan, I M, Murray, M 2008, A liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) assay for the determination of irinotecan (CPT-11) and its two major metabolites in human liver microsomal incubations and human plasma samples, Journal of Chromatography. B, Analytical Technologies in the Biomedical and Life Sciences, 875(2), 522-530
- Li, Y, Qi, Y, Kim, M S, Zhe-Yang Xu, K Z, Huang, T H-W, Rong, X, Murray, M, Yamahara, J 2008, Increased renal collagen cross-linking and lipid accumulation in nephropathy of Zucker diabetic fatty rats, Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, 24(6), 498-506
- Murray, M 2008, Role in the Metabolism and Toxicity of Drugs and other Xenobiotics, Modulation of CytochromesP450 by Phytochemicals, RSC Publishing, UK, 449-479
- Petrovic, N, Murray, M 2008, Oncogene Proteins: Structure, Functions and Analyses, Modulation of Tumor Angiogenesis by Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids: What is the Mechanism?, Nova Science Publishers Inc, USA, 121-142
- Rong, X, Kim, M S, Su, N, Wen, S, Matsuo, Y, Yamahara, J, Murray, M, Li, Y 2008, An aqueous extract of Salacia oblonga root, a herb-derived peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha activator, by oral gavage over 28 days induces gender-dependent hepatic hypertrophy in rats, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 46(6), 2165-2172
- Szymczak, M, Murray, M, Petrovic, N 2008, Modulation of angiogenesis by omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is mediated by cyclooxygenases, Blood,111(7), 3514-3521
- Xu, H, Williams, K, Liauw, W, Murray, M, Day, R, McLachlan, A J 2008, Effects of St John's wort and CYP2C9 genotype on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of gliclazide, British Journal of Pharmacology, 153(7), 1579-1586
- Zhang, W V, D'Esposito, F, Edwards, R, Ramzan, I M, Murray, M 2008, Interindividual Variation in Relative CYP1A2/3A4 Phenotype Influences Susceptibility of Clozapine Oxidation to Cytochrome P450-Specific Inhibition in Human Hepatic Microsomes, Drug Metabolism and Disposition,36(12), 2547-2555
- WV Zhang, I Ramzan and M Murray. Impaired microsomal oxidation of the atypical antipsychotic agent clozapine in hepatic steatosis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 322, 770-777 (2007).
- E Fiala-Beer, AC Lee and M Murray. Regulation of the rat CYP4A2 gene promoter by c-Jun and octamer binding protein-1. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39, 1235-1247 (2007).
- M Chetty and M Murray. CYP-mediated clozapine interactions: how predictable are they? Curr Drug Metab 8, 307-313 (2007).
- M Murray. Role of signalling systems in the effects of dietary factors on the expression of mammalian CYPs. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 3, 185-196 (2007).
- M Murray and N Petrovic. Cytochromes P450: Decision making tools for personalized therapeutics. Curr Opin Mol Ther 8, 480-486 (2006).
- M Murray. Role of CYP pharmacogenetics and drug-drug interactions in the efficacy and safety of atypical and other antipsychotic agents. J Pharm Pharmacol 58, 871-885 (2006).
- R Obligacion, M Murray and I Ramzan. Drug metabolising enzymes and transporters: Expression in the human prostate and roles in prostate drug disposition. J Androl 27, 138-150 (2006).
- C Cowpland, GM Su, M Murray, IB Puddey and KD Croft. The effect of alcohol on cytochrome P450 arachidonic acid metabolism and blood pressure in rats and its modulation by red wine polyphenolics. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 33, 183-188 (2006).
- NY Marden and M Murray. Characterisation of a c-Jun-responsive module in the 5'-flank of the human CYP2J2 gene that regulates transactivation. Biochem J 391, 631-640 (2005).
- M Murray, AM Butler, E Fiala-Beer and GM Su. Phospho-STAT5 accumulation in nuclear fractions from vitamin A-deficient rat liver. FEBS Letters 579, 3669-3673 (2005).
- GM Su, E Fiala-Beer, J Weber, D Jahn, GR Robertson and M Murray. Pretranslational upregulation of microsomal CYP4A in rat liver by intake of a high-sucrose, lipid-devoid diet containing orotic acid. Biochem Pharmacol 69, 709-717 (2005).
- L Liu, M Murray, JM Conlon and E Burcher. Quantitative structure-activity analyses of bufokinin and other tachykinins at bufokinin (bNK1) receptors of the small intestine of the cane toad, Bufo marinus. Biochem Pharmacol 69, 329-338 (2005).
- M Murray. Review of "Identification of a novel mammary-restricted cytochrome P450, CYP4Z1, with overexpression in breast carcinoma." Breast Canc Online 7: #10 (2004).
- M Murray and AM Butler. Comparative inhibition of inducible and constitutive CYPs in rat hepatic microsomes by parathion. Xenobiotica 34, 723-739 (2004).
- L Liu, I Markus, R Vandenberg, BA Neilan, M Murray and E Burcher. Molecular identification and characterization of three isoforms of tachykinin NK1-like receptors in the cane toad, bufo marinus. Am J Physiol (Regulat Integrat and Comp Physiol) 287, R575-R585 (2004).
- M Murray and K Murray. Mechanism-based inhibition of CYP activities in rat liver by fluoxetine and structurally similar
alkylamines. Xenobiotica 33, 973-987 (2003).
- M Murray, E Fiala-Beer and D Sutton. Upregulation of cytochromes 2B in rat liver by orphenadrine.Brit J Pharmacol 139, 787-796 (2003).
- NY Marden, E Fiala-Beer, SH Xiang and M Murray. Role of Activator Protein-1 in the downregulation of the human CYP2J2 gene in hypoxia. Biochem J 373, 669-680 (2003).
- M Murray. Pharmacogenetic variation in drug oxidizing CYPs: Impact on drug therapy, drug safety and drug interactions. Current Pharmacogenomics 1, 159-173 (2003).
- I Stupans, HW Tan, A Kirlich, K Tuck, P Hayball and M Murray. Inhibition of CYP3A-mediated oxidation in human hepatic microsomes by the dietary derived complex phenol, gallic acid. J Pharm Pharmacol 54, 269-275 (2002).
- L Liu, M Murray and E Burcher. Structure-activity studies of bufokinin, substance P and their C-terminal fragments at bufokinin receptors in the small intestine of the cane toad, Bufo marinus. Biochem Pharmacol 63, 217-224 (2002).
Research Funding 2002-present
|2000-2002||M. Murray. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Impaired regulation of cytochromes P450 during the evolution of hepatic steatosis." $182,359.|
|2001-2003||M. Murray. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Hypoxia and the transcriptional regulation of CYP genes in cells." $210,000|
|2001-2003||M. Murray and G.A. Smythe. Australian Research Council Large Grant. "Structural differences in CYP2 family proteins that control substrate specificity." $181,350.|
|2004-2006||M. Murray and G.R. Robertson. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Alternate signalling pathways regulating the human arachidonate epoxygenase CYP2J2 in response to stress stimuli."$363,000.|
|2004-2006||M. Murray and T.J.R Lambert. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Clozapine toxicity: Role of pharmacogenetic variation in CYP enzymes and bioactivation mechanisms in patient neutrophils"$330,375.|
|2004-2005||M. Murray and S.J. Clarke. University of Sydney Cancer Research Fund Project Grant. "Impact of human cytochrome P450 3A allelic variants on the toxicity of docetaxel and irinotecan." $98,000.|
|2004||M. Murray. University of Sydney, Sesqui Major Equipment Grant Funding. "Wallac Victor Multilabel reader." $96,000|
|2005||R.J. Trent, N.H. Hunt, I.W. Dawes, P.F. Little, P.L. Bergquist, M.S. Baker, R.J. Scott, P.R. Dunkley, M. Murray, T. Chan-Ling and C.R. MacKay. ARC - Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities Grant Funding. "Phenotype genotype comparisons using functional genomic approaches." $509,131|
N.J. King, I.W. Dawes, L.M. Kachigian, K.W. Beagley, I.L. Campbell, D.I. Cook, J. Black, G. Halliday, J.W. McAvoy, N.H. Hunt, P.W. Gunning, J.D. Pollard, M. Murray and W.J. Britton. ARC - Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities Grant Funding. "Advanced Imaging Flow Cytometry Facility for NSW."
|2006-2008||M Murray. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Novel omega-3 fatty acid epoxides and the activation of cellular survival pathways." $447,750|
|2007-2009||M Murray. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Functional interplay of transcriptional activators in the regulation of the cytoprotective human CYP2J2 gene" $462,000.|
H Chan, PJ Stewart, IC Larson, PM Young, D Traini, AS Weiss, M Murray, F Dehghani, DE Hibbs and GG Warr. Australian Research Council Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities Grant. "State-of-the-art high resolution thermal analysis suite for the life and material sciences." $100,000.
|2008||J Hanrahan, D Hibbs, M Collins and M Murray. Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundations. âA 400 MHz Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectrometer.â $30,000.|
|2008||M Murray, JR Hanrahan, DE Hibbs, BD Roufogalis, M Collins, CC Duke, WB Church, IR Kennedy, GAR Johnston, DR Richardson, N Manolios, R Codd, RD Allan, M Kassiou, M Ali and BN Tattam. National Health and Medical Research Council Equipment Grant. âVarian NMR System 400MHz & Autosamplerâ. $100,000.|
|2009||BD Roufogalis, DE Hibbs, JR Hanrahan, M Murray and CC Duke. Clive and Vera Ramaciotti Foundations. Bruker APEX II X-ray diffractometer detector. $30,000.|
|2009-2011||M Murray. National Health and Medical Research Council Project Grant. "Cytochrome P450-mediated epoxides of polyunsaturated fatty acids that regulate cell death and survival." $476,250.|
|2009-2011||M Murray, H Gurney and AJ McLachlan. Cancer Council NSW Project Grant. âDevelopment of personalized dosage protocols for tyrosine kinase inhibitors in oncology patients.â $288,650 for 3 years.|
|2009||DE Hibbs, BD Roufogalis, M Murray, TW Hambley, JR Hanrahan, WB Church, M Collins, GAR Johnston, PM Young and D Traini. National Health and Medical Research Council Equipment Grant. âBruker APEX II CCD Detector: Fourth generation APEX II ultra-low noise CCD X-ray detector with 16 megapixel chip.â $100,000|