Frequently asked questions


The following is a list of the most commonly asked questions with regard to working at the University of Sydney:

I am interested in working at the University of Sydney, but I can see nothing appropriate currently advertised.

You can register to receive email alerts. When a role is advertised that matches your search criteria you will automatically be notified. Alternately, you can register an expression of interest in the University and submit your resume. This will be held in our talent pool. When one of our recruitment consultants is briefed on an appropriate role, s(he) will search the talent pool and contact you and other potential applicants.

I wish to apply for a role at the University of Sydney. What do I need to do?

Details of how to apply, the recruitment process and how to address the selection criteria are available as part of this website. However, if you need further information, or are having trouble with the online application process, please do not hesitate to contact the recruitment consultant named in the advertisement for the role.

Alternatively, call our general support help desk on: +61 1300 308 054, or email

Can one of my referees also be a member of the selection committee?

Unfortunately not. Referee reports need to be from people not involved in the recruitment process in any way. If in doubt, please speak to the recruitment consultant managing the position.

The area I work in is highly specialised and everybody tends to know each other. I am concerned my current employer will find out about my application.

We will do our utmost to ensure your application remains confidential and your identity is known only to members of the selection panel. For certain academic positions the recommended recruitment process may involve a presentation to faculty/school members. However, if confidentiality is an issue, your concerns would override this and any presentation would be to the selection panel only.

If I take up a position with the University, will my partner be able to work in his/her chosen field?

In the vast majority of situations your partner will have unrestricted work rights and be able to work in Australia. However, there are specific eligibility criteria that need to be met in a number of professions and trades – and depending upon your residency status, certain roles that are open only to permanent residents, Australian citizens or employees of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent.

I am a looking for casual work at the University. How do I find out about current opportunities?

Search for current roles or contact us for information about casual employment at the University.

I am a student and am interested in part-time paid employment opportunities.

SydneyTalent provides opportunities for currently enrolled students to undertake paid work both within the University and with external companies.