Thermophysical properties facility
The Thermophysical Properties Facility (TPF) is one of the research centres of the School of Chemistry at The University of Sydney.
The primary role of the TPF is to provide research support to School of Chemistry staff and students. TPF services are also available to external clients. The TPF operates a number of specialist instruments capable of measuring diverse physical properties over a large range of temperatures. These include Magnetic Susceptibility, Heat Capacity, Electrical Resistivity, ThermoGravimetric Analysis (TGA), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) and Isothermal Titration Calorimetry.
Staff of the TPF provide a range of consulting services, technical assistance and training. Samples can be submitted for a range of magnetic or calorimetric measurements. Although not strictly part of the TPF we also provide a Powder X-ray Diffraction service.
The facility is currently equipped with:
- Quantum Design Physical Properties Measurement System (PPMS) (2 to 400 K in magnetic fields up to 9 T). This system is equipped with the following accessories: Vibrating Sample Magnetometer (VSM), (VSM oven – up to 1,000K), AC Magnetic Susceptibility (ACMS), heat capacity and resistivity.
- Quantum Design Versalab (50 to 400 K in magnetic fields up to 3 T) with VSM, (VSM oven – up to 1,000K), heat capacity and resistivity.
- TA Instruments Discovery TGA. Ambient to 1,200°C, 4 channel gas blending, 10-7g resolution.
- Perkin Elmer TGA-GC/MS (Pyrus-Clarus). Ambient to 1,000°C. EI-MS.
- TA Instruments 2950 TGA (ambient to 800°C).
- TA Instruments 2920 DSC ( -150 °C to 600°C).
- Mettler Toledo DSC 823e. ( -165 °C to 600°C).
- MicroCal Isothermal Titration Calorimeter (ITC200). (2 to 80°C).
- PAnalytical Expert Pro MPD Powder X-ray Diffractometer.
Bookings for the Facility can be made through the online booking system:
Online Booking System (internal access only) or by email to the professional officer in charge of the facility.
The facility operates on a subsidised cost recovery basis for Australian academic and government clients, and on a full cost recovery basis for others. The PPMS is charged in 24 hour blocks (10am-10am) or part thereof. The other instrument charges are per peak hour, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm. After hours/weekend (building access only available to USyd Chemistry Staff and students) rates are half peak hour rates. Overnight (5pm-9am) costs the same as two peak hours. Charges listed below are for instrument use only. Extra P.O.'s time for training in use of the instruments and services such as running your samples for you, filling nitrogen dewars etc. will be charged at $40ph for University of Sydney users and $100ph for external clients. PXRD charges, below, are for samples submitted to TPF staff for analysis.
|Other USyd users||$200||$30||$30||$15||$15||$15||$20||$40|
|External clients (+GST)||$450||$60||$60||$30||$30||$30||$40||$100|
A relatively small extra charge, our cost price, may need to be applied for clients who use substantial quantities of consumables (e.g. PPMS VSM sample tubes are $11 each, DSC pans are $4 each.
Most DSC measurements require LN2. One 50L dewar will support several measurements - 50 litre, LN2 dewar $40 – including PO time to fill it.
All charges apply regardless of the "success" of the experiment.
Dr Hank de Bruyn
Professional Officer, Technical Support
School of Chemistry
The University of Sydney NSW 2006 Australia
T +61 2 9351 3330
F +61 2 9351 8651