Henry Lawson's While the billy boils
A new Henry Lawson emerges from these two Australian Research Council-funded projects.
Many years of work have gone into a new scholarly edition of Henry Lawson's While the Billy Boils. Edited by Paul Eggert, the texts are based on the original newspaper versions of the stories and sketches, and presented in chronological order rather than in the book publisher's sequence of 1896. The original versions reveal Lawson's early experimentation and stylistic development that were obscured in the famous Angus & Robertson collection and have subsequently been misunderstood. Elizabeth Webby's explanatory notes expertly key the stories into the rural and urban culture of the time.
Eggert's monograph, Biography of a Book, traces the 'life' of While the Billy Boils through the decades since the 1890s, with surprising results for interpretation of that crucial Australian decade. A proposal for the future of literary studies emerges from this book-historically inflected, bibliographically sharpened study.
Biography of a Book is co-published with The Pennsylvania State University Press in its History of the Book series, edited by James L. W. West III.
The books are available from SUP in hard cover and soft cover, as well as in eBook formats. The 52 stories and sketches from While the Billy Boils are also available individually in electronic form, each with its own explanatory notes and textual documentation.
Biography of a book: Henry Lawson's While the billy boils
- Soft cover - Sydney University Press
- Hard cover - Sydney University Press
- Soft cover - The Penn State University Press
- Hard cover - The Penn State University Press
Henry Lawson's While the billy boils: the original newspaper versions
- Soft cover
- Hard cover
- Individual stories in PDF
- Scanned images of the original versions of the stories, as they appeared in The Bulletin and other journals, courtesy of the State Library of New South Wales
- Introduction and Note on the texts
- Hard cover set - one copy of Biography of a book and one copy of Henry Lawson's While the billy boils, cloth bound with dust jacket
- Soft cover set - one copy of Biography of a book and one copy of Henry Lawson's While the billy boils in paperback