Skip to main content

Academic appeals

Resolution with original decision-maker

The first stage of the appeals process is to attempt to resolve the matter with the original decision-maker (request for resolution), usually your teacher or the unit of study coordinator. You have 15 working days from when the academic decision was made to make an enquiry.

Procedures for a resolution are outlined in part 3.1 and 3.1A of the Appeals Rule.

Resolving the matter

This first step in the appeal process gives you an opportunity to review the academic decision and receive a better understanding of why the decision was made. Discussing your concern with the original decision-maker is often the quickest and easiest way to resolve your issue.

To make an enquiry, you need to raise your concern with the relevant teacher, unit of study coordinator or administrative unit, that is responsible for the decision. The person or unit you need to contact will vary depending on the situation and the type of decision. Often the decision maker will be someone in your school or discipline.

In some situations, your appeal may not be resolved by this process. If this is the case, you may continue to the next stage in the appeals process by submitting a formal appeal to the Faculty or Academic Panel.

Special consideration or special arrangements

If you have submitted an application for special consideration or special arrangements and would like to appeal the outcome, you should first review your special consideration decision against the forms of consideration granted under University policy. If you still want to appeal the outcome, you can submit an informal resolution request, in writing.

You can submit an informal resolution request online.

Credit and reduced volume of learning

If you have submitted an application for credit or reduced volume of learning and would like to appeal the outcome, you should first review your credit offer email and the reasons given for this decision. If you have any questions about the outcome of your application, you should email us at and we will be able to provide you with more information on the reasons for your outcome.

If you still want to appeal the outcome of your credit decision, you can submit a resolution request online

This appeals process is only for decisions on credit for prior learning. If you want to appeal credit related to an assessment item, you will need to contact the relevant teacher or unit of study coordinator responsible for the decision and appeal your grade.

Additional faculty or school information

If you are studying in one of the following faculties or schools, refer to the additional information below on how to seek resolution with the original decision maker. For all other faculties and schools, contact the person who made the decision. 

You need to raise your concern with your teacher or unit of study coordinator within 15 working days of being advised of the academic decision or your result being posted by the University. 

If you are appealing a decision regarding a Discontinuation Not to Count as Failure application, disciplinary matters, show cause decisions or other faculty administrative decisions, you need to submit an appeal to the Faculty.

If you are contesting an academic decision regarding academic dishonesty or plagiarism, you should first discuss your concerns with the Educational Integrity Coordinator by email within 15 working days of being advised of the academic decision

Appeals against marks or grades

If you believe you have genuine grounds to contest an academic decision about a mark or grade, you can submit an online appeal form.

If your appeal is related to an exam mark, we recommend you review your exam script before submitting an appeal. Often queries can be resolved without making an appeal.

Once you submit an online appeal form, you will receive an email confirming submission of your appeal.

Your appeal will be directed to the relevant academic staff member for consideration. Once they have reviewed your appeal, an outcome will be emailed to your University student email account. You should allow at least 10 working days for this process. 

After reviewing the outcome and reasons provided, if you still have genuine reasons to contest the decision, you may:

  • contact the academic staff member within five working days and make an appointment to discuss the appeal. This is optional and choosing not to request a meeting does not prevent you from making an appeal to the Faculty. 
  • attend the meeting to discuss your appeal. If you attend a meeting, the academic staff member will record the outcome and email a copy of this to you. 

If you have any questions, email and include the unit of study code (for example BUSS1000), your name and student ID in the subject line of the email.

Appeals against academic dishonesty or plagiarism decisions

For decisions relating to academic dishonesty including plagiarism, you need to make an appeal to the Faculty.

Self-reflection and analysis of feedback

To prepare for making an appeal against an academic decision, you should first engage in self-reflection and consider:

  • information provided by the School and University before the academic decision was made
  • feedback or reasons provided for the academic decision. For example, for an assessment mark this may include generic assessment feedback, individual feedback on your exam script or assignment paper or feedback from a feedback session. It is your responsibility to attend feedback sessions and collect your exam scripts.
  • whether there are genuine grounds to contest the decision, or if you are disappointed but the decision was fair and reasonable.

Appeal to the original decision-maker

After engaging in self-reflection, if you are still concerned about an academic decision, and believe there are genuine grounds for contesting it, you can make an appeal to the relevant staff member (teacher or unit of study coordinator). This should be done in writing (email is acceptable) and addressed directly to the relevant staff member. You should make it clear which academic decision you are appealing.

You need to make your appeal within 15 working days of the academic decision, or within 15 working days of your result being released by the University if the decision relates to the completion of a unit of study. 

The relevant staff member will address your concerns and provide an explanation of the reasons for the academic decision. Making an appeal doesn't entitle you to a re-mark. The staff member will check that the marking criteria have been accurately applied. If it's found the criteria haven't been accurately applied, the mark may be changed and could be higher or lower than your original mark.  

If your appeal is not resolved at this stage, you can make an appeal to the Faculty. In this appeal, you will need to provide a copy of your appeal to the original decision-maker and the response given by the relevant staff member. 

Sydney Nursing School

If you would like to appeal the mark you have been given for an assessment item, you first need to speak to your unit on study coordinator. If you would like to proceed to have the assessment item re-marked, you need to complete an Application for re-marking (pdf, 258KB), signed by your unit of study coordinator.

You also need to include the following supporting documents.

  • The original, marked assessment item.
  • A clean copy of the assessment item to be remarked, should a remark be approved.
  • A letter outlining the reasons why you believe a remark should be undertaken.

You can submit your application for re-marking, with supporting documents to

If you want to make a formal appeal against a grade, you can make an appeal in writing. You need to provide written feedback from your unit of study coordinator with your appeal. Submit your appeal to to be forwarded to the Associate Dean. 

Sydney Pharmacy School

There are several steps you need to take to make an appeal:

  • appeal to your teacher or unit of study coordinator
  • appeal to your year coordinator (undergraduate students). This can be done if you’re not satisfied with the outcome from your teacher/unit of study coordinator or the issue affects more than one unit of study.
  • appeal to your course coordinator. This can be done if you’re not satisfied with the outcome from your year coordinator or the issue affects more than one year of study.
  • appeal to the Associate Dean.
Last updated: 20 June 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.