Skip to main content

Re-enrol (continuing enrolment)

While you’re a student at the University of Sydney, you’ll need to re-enrol before the start of each academic year.


If you are currently enrolled and continuing your studies in the next session, you are known as a 'continuing student'.

Towards the end of each year, we’ll email you when it’s time for you to re-enrol. For coursework students, this will usually be in the days following the release of your Semester 2 results.

Sometimes there may be a delay in your enrolment opening. This could be because:

  • you have incomplete results
  • you’ve failed a unit of study.

Make sure you re-enrol by the enrolment deadlines for continuing students so you don’t risk losing your place in your course.

How to re-enrol

Re-enrolment will include confirming your contact details, finalising any financial arrangements and, for many students, selecting units of study for the year. Find more information about the steps to enrol.

You may need to select units of study as part of your re-enrolment. See our Planning your course page for information to help you plan your studies.

Submitting your thesis

To submit your thesis, you need to be currently enrolled. This means that if you’re not expected to submit your thesis until after 31 December, you will need to re-enrol for the coming academic year.

Recommencing or returning to your studies after a break

You are considered to be a recommencing student if you are about to return your studies after approved leave.

If you are on a suspension or a leave of absence you will need to re-enrol to return to your studies.

We’ll email you before you’re due to return with instructions on how to recommence in the following semester or research period.

Apply to recommence through Sydney Student. Go to ‘My studies’, ‘Course details’, then ‘Request to recommence studies’.

You will need to apply to the University to recommence your studies after a break. You should do this at least two months before you want to start, to allow time for us to provide a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

If your student visa has been cancelled, you'll need to apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a new visa once you have your new eCoE.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 19 July 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.