Skip to main content

Request permission for a unit of study

In some cases you may need to request permission to enrol in a unit of study. This will take the form of departmental permission or special permission.

  1. Departmental permission
  2. Special permission

Departmental permission

Some units of study require faculty or school approval for any student wanting to enrol. This could be for a number of reasons, for example if it’s an advanced unit, a clinical placement, an offshore unit or has limited places.

Your handbook will indicate if a unit of study requires departmental permission.

How to apply

You'll be prompted to apply for departmental permission when you select your units of study in the enrolment task.

You should identify an alternative that you'd like to complete. We'll enrol you in this unit if your application for departmental permission is not approved.

You can attach supporting documents to your application. For example, if your unit of study coordinator has previously given you permission to enrol in the unit, you can upload evidence of this to allow faster processing of your application. If we require additional documents we will email you.

If you're applying for departmental permission for advanced junior science units, you need to upload evidence of your HSC (or equivalent study).

If after Week 2 of semester you want to change from an advanced unit of study to a mainstream unit or from a mainstream unit of study to a fundamental stream unit covering the same material, you will need to submit a Unit of study downgrade request (pdf, 133KB). You need to submit this before the census date.

What happens next

After you submit your application it will be assessed by your faculty or school. If we require additional supporting documents, we will email you. We won’t be able to assess your application until you have provided the necessary documents.

You can view the status of your application or cancel your request in Sydney Student (on the Home page under ‘Approval requests’).

We will email you within 10 working days to let you know the outcome. If we approve your application, we’ll automatically enrol you in the unit of study you requested.

If your application is unsuccessful, we will provide reasons for this decision. We will enrol you in your alternative unit of study, or if not provided, you will need to amend your unit of study selections. Your fees will be adjusted as necessary to reflect your change in unit of study.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 17 September 2018

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.