Skip to main content

Student insurance

The University has a number of insurance policies and strategies to ensure you and your property are appropriately covered. 

Student insurance

Travel insurance

When you’re covered

As a currently enrolled student, you’re covered by the University's travel insurance policy when your travel meets the following criteria.

  • It is curriculum related. That is, it is directly or indirectly linked to the completion of your enrolled degree (for example student exchange, work experience and clinical placements).
  • It is formally approved by your faculty or school before your departure. Normally your head of school or department would provide this approval. You should ask for confirmation of the approval in an email to include in any insurance claims you may need to make.
  • You are representing the University (for example on a sporting or debating team).

Make sure there is a clear understanding of what costs will be refunded (if any) by the University before you travel.

The University will provide cover for the duration of your course and any additional days that are deemed appropriate. The total duration of travel needs to be specified in the approval letter/email provided by your Head of Faculty or School.

Emergency contact details

In the event of a medical emergency, or if you need help in relation to your insurance coverage, call AIG travel assistance on +60 3 2772 5641. If you are in the United States of America you can also call 1-866-814-3375.

You can call this number from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day and can reverse charge the call.

Print and keep your proof of insurance (pdf, 84KB) to have these emergency contact details on hand.

Personal travel

You are not covered for periods of extended personal travel you take before, during or after the approved University travel activity. Personal travel on weekends will only be covered if you are completing an approved exchange, and you are travelling during the exchange period.

You can contact if you have any questions about whether your personal travel will be covered.

In situations where you’re not covered by the University's travel insurance, you need to consider taking out your own travel insurance. Most insurers will require you to take out your own travel insurance for the duration of your trip, including the portion that is covered by the University. Having dual cover does not affect your ability to make a claim.

If you undertake any personal travel that exceeds the weekend, or you plan travelling before, during or after your placement, you should take out a separate policy with AIG.

Iran and Cuba

Iran and Cuba are subject to sanctions issued by the Australian, US and UN Governments. If you are travelling to these countries, you should contact us to discuss your options.

What’s covered

You can find out what's covered by student insurance in the Travel Claims Summary (pdf, 951KB) document.

Medical conditions

If you have pre-existing medical conditions, you will need to provide us with a 'fit for travel' letter from your treating doctor, which includes:

  • details of your condition
  • management of the condition
  • your suitability for overseas travel.

Email a copy of this letter to and hold onto this letter in case you need to make a claim.


If you’re in Australia on a student visa, or residing here temporarily, you are not covered for medical expenses if you travel back to your home country.

The University’s student travel insurance also does not cover:

  • routine medical procedures (such as check-ups)
  • loss or damage to personal effects (there must be evidence of theft).

Travel advice and security

Up-to-date information on overseas travel and security is available from AIG Travel Assistance.

To register, use your University student email account for ‘username’ and the University’s Travel policy number 2200103398. Once you’re registered you’ll be able to use the services provided by our travel insurer.

You can also visit the Australian Government’s Smartraveller website for travel advice.

How to make a claim

Effective from 4pm, 31 October local areas (Faculties/Schools and other Departments), employees and students will take ownership and responsibility for insurance claims for relevant excess amounts on all University insurance policies. For example:

  • Corporate travel claims less than $3,000 will be the responsibility of the traveller (unless the claim relates to medical expenses where the excess amount remains at zero and will be covered by the insurer).
  • Personal Accident claims less than $1,000 will be the responsibility of the claimant.

Travel claims

For travel claims from 1 November 2019 that exceed $3,000, please submit your claim online

Personal accident claims

If you have a personal accident claim from 1 November 2018 onwards, complete the personal accident claim form (pdf, 570KB) and send it to


AON Risk Solutions are the University insurance broker. If you have travel and personal accident claim enquiries email

For general insurance enquiries, contact Angela San Diego on +61 2 9253 8106 or email


School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry (SOPHI)

Postgraduate students

To have your travel arrangements approved, you’ll need to submit a Travel notification form for SOPHI postgraduates (doc, 67KB).

Domestic Travel

Everyday travel around the Sydney metropolitan area for meetings/research is considered generally low risk by the faculty and doesn’t need to be pre-approved by a Head of School. However, you need to email your supervisor for approval before you travel (either a single trip or series of trips).

Where possible, public transport should be used, and any driving should be shared to minimise fatigue.

All domestic travel which involves expenditure of University funds to reimburse you for expenses, such as accommodation, needs to be pre-approved by the Head of School.

Overseas Travel

Overseas travel needs to be pre-approved by a Head of Department. You and your supervisor need to check the advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for your destination(s) and consider the DFAT advice, especially in relation to travel, health and security. You should contact the Executive assistant to your Head of School for more information.

Health and Safety

If the travel involves any unusual or high risk activities such as remote-area travel, clinical visits or animal handling, a risk assessment should be conducted and reviewed with your supervisor before you travel.

All fieldwork also needs be subject to a risk assessment. Talk to your supervisor for further advice.

Claiming Travel Expenses

Contact the Executive assistant to your Head of School for more information.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 07 January 2020

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.