Skip to main content

Staying on track

If you're falling behind, we can help you get back on track

We care about your welfare and academic progress. We try to spot any struggles you may be having early on, and there are several ways we can help you to catch up.

Special consideration

If you have a serious illness, injury or circumstances arise that affect your ability to complete or submit an assignment, you may have grounds to apply for special consideration.

For information on the University's special consideration process, including how to determine whether you're eligible, how to apply and what the outcomes may be, see our special consideration website. 

We remind you that submitting a forged or fraudulent medical certificate or professional practitioner certificate with a special consideration application amounts to misconduct and carries severe penalties.

Academic progression register

If you receive an unsatisfactory progression report, you will be placed on the academic progression register. This can be triggered by such 'red flags' as a failed subject, or if you’re not on track to complete your degree within the specified time frame.

Your faculty will notify you if this happens. You may be required to attend an information session and complete a survey to help us identify the cause of your academic difficulties.

If your results improve for two consecutive semesters, we will take you off the register. If you continue having trouble, we may ask you to show cause, or you may even be excluded from the University – so it is really worth seeking help as soon as possible.

The Student Affairs Unit outlines the steps in further detail.

Read our rules on academic progression and 'show cause' in part 15 of the Coursework Policy 2014.

Your options

Other actions you might consider, depending on your situation:

  • withdraw from a subject before the census date
  • withdraw before Study Vacation to record a Discontinue Without Fail, which won’t affect your progression
  • consider part-time study if a full course load is weighing you down.
Note that withdrawing from a subject may not be an option if you are an international student and your visa requires a certain study load.

Appealing a grade

If you’re not happy with an academic result, and feel you have genuine grounds to appeal the decision, you need to take action within 15 days.

Our Student Affairs Unit can provide you with the information and documentation you need at each stage to lodge an appeal.

How to appeal an academic grade

Discuss your concern with your teacher or unit of study coordinator.
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your discussion, lodge a formal appeal with your faculty.
If you are unhappy with the faculty's decision on your appeal, you have the right to appeal to the Student Appeals Body.
Learn more

Contact us

  • Student Centre, Level 3
    Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

    Opening hours:
    9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Make an enquiry