How to apply and accept an offer
Domestic applicants such as Australian citizens and permanent residents, New Zealand citizens and holders of a permanent humanitarian visa can apply for postgraduate courses online through Find a course.
If you are an international student please go to our international postgraduate coursework page for information.
Application closing date
Please use Find a course to check the closing date for the course you are interested in.
We strongly encourage applicants to apply as early as possible, well in advance of the published closing dates. Offers are made on a rolling basis and places are limited. Incomplete applications can result in delays in processing your application, so please ensure that your application is complete with all the required documents and any other additional requirements. Please also note that separate scholarship deadlines apply. Please visit the scholarships website for more information.
How to apply and accept
1. Applying online
As a postgraduate student, you need to apply directly to the University of Sydney using our online application portal.
- Select your degree using Find a course and check that you meet the admission requirements.
- Click on ‘apply now’ and you will be directed to our online application portal, where you can fill in your application form.
- Remember to attach all the required documentation.
- When you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email from the University.
- Important note: As most of the correspondence we send you regarding your application is via email, we strongly recommend you add the University of Sydney to your approved sender list. Also, you should also regularly check your junk mail folder just in case University emails have been misdirected there.
If your application is approved for admission, you may be required to provide original or original certified documents.
2. Receiving your offer
- Our Admissions Office will send you formal notification of the result of your application via email. Your application may need to be assessed by both the Admissions Office and faculty.
- If successful, the University will send you an ‘unconditional’ or ‘conditional’ offer via email. An ‘unconditional’ offer means that your application is complete and you can now accept your offer online. If you receive a ‘conditional offer’ you will need to provide further information to meet the conditions stated on your offer.
- We recommend that you check your offer of admission carefully and contact us if you have any questions about the terms and conditions of the offer.
3. Accepting your offer online
- When you receive an unconditional offer from the University of Sydney, you can accept it by logging into Sydney Student with your username and password (go to 'My applications', then 'Respond to offer', then 'Accept and continue').
- Once you accept your unconditional offer, online enrolment instructions will be emailed to you via the student portal. Please visit our enrolment website for information on how to complete your enrolment. Once you go through the enrolment process, you are an official University of Sydney student.
Deferring your offer
Deferring is when you have received an offer of a place from the University, but want to put it on hold and begin your course later. Deferring is not available for every course and needs faculty approval. You can submit a request to defer through your online portal and we will get back to you with a response as soon as possible. If for any reason you are unable to accept an offer, please decline your offer through the online portal as so that the University may then offer that place to another applicant.
If you need more advice please ask a question or call 1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864).