|PhD Candidate||T: +61 2 9036 5443|
|Public Health, School of Public Health, Menzies Centre for Health Policy||F: +61 2 9351 5204|
|D02 - Coppleson Building||E: email@example.com|
|The University of Sydney||W: Related website|
|NSW 2006 Australia|
Shauna Downs is a PhD candidate at the Menzies Centre for Health Policy in the School of Public Health at the University of Sydney. Her PhD project examines trans fat policy in India using a food systems approach. Her main interest is in the relationship among the nutrition transition, chronic disease and the use of multisectoral policies to improve the quality of the food supply. In addition to her PhD work, Shauna is a Research Assistant in the Food Policy Division of The George Institute for Global Health.
Prior to beginning her PhD, Shauna worked at the University of Alberta (Edmonton, Canada) where she was a Research Coordinator in Community Nutrition. Her research focused on adolescent and child obesity prevention, primarily in schools.
Shauna completed her Master’s of Nutrition and Metabolism at the University of Alberta. Her Master’s research examined the relationship among the food environment, dietary intake, physical activity and obesity in Aboriginal children in Northern Québec, Canada.
- Downs SM, Thow AM, Ghosh-Jerath S, McNab J, Reddy KS, Leeder SR. From Denmark to Dehli: the multisectoral challenge of regulating trans fats in India. (Accepted in Public Health Nutrition, September 2012).
- Downs SM, Thow AM, Leeder SR. The impact of policies for reducing trans fat: a systematic review of the existing evidence. (Accepted in WHO Bulletin, November 2012)
- Olstad DL, Downs SM, Raine K, Berry TR, McCargar LJ. Improving children’s nutrition environments: A survey of adoption and implementation of nutrition guidelines in recreational facilities. BMC Public Health. 2011; 11:423
- Downs SM, Farmer A, Quintanilha M, Berry TR, Mager DR, Willows ND, McCargar LJ. Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth: Awareness and Use in Schools. Can J Diet Pract and Res. 2011;72:137-140.
- Downs SM, Farmer A, Quintanilha M, Berry TR, Mager DR, Willows ND, McCargar LJ. From paper to practice: Barriers to adopting nutrition guidelines in schools. J Nutr Educ & Behav.
- Downs SM, Arnold A, Marshall D, McCargar LJ, Raine K & Willows ND. Associations among the food environment, diet quality and weight status in Cree children in Québec. Public Health Nutrition. 2009; 12(9): 1504-11.
- Downs SM & Willows ND. Should Canadians eat according to the traditional Mediterranean diet pyramid or Canada’s food guide?" Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism. 2008; 33: 527-535.