Sydney Medical School Online Museum and Archive

From Faculty of Medicine Online Museum and Archive

Jump to: navigation, search
Professor (Sir) Thomas Peter Anderson Stuart
Painting of the Anderson Stuart Building by Richard Joseland
Dissecting room in original 1882 Medical School

About the Online Museum and Archive

Welcome to the Sydney Medical School Online Museum and Archive. The Faculty of Medicine formally came into being on 13 June 1856, for the purpose of conducting examinations to award the degrees of Bachelor and Doctor of Medicine. Twenty-five years later the Sydney Medical School was opened and began training doctors for the growing colony of NSW.

In 1883, when the Faculty took first enrolments, there were only four students taught by the Dean, Professor Thomas Anderson Stuart Kt, in a tiny cottage near the Footbridge entrance from Parramatta Road.

Since these modest beginnings, over 24,000 students have graduated and have gone on to achieve a diversity of accomplishments that have impacted upon the lives of many in extraordinary ways, both in Australia and elsewhere in the world. Likewise, from our pioneers to our current staff, this medical school has been advanced by remarkable medical professionals, administrators and educators. Please read the Website Usage and Copyright Information

Special Features

This site has been developed in consultation with the Online Museum Advisory Committee and the Web Development Team. We welcome your feedback and contributions. Enquiries can be directed to the managing curator Dr Lise Mellor.

Please read the Website Usage and Copyright Information