Skip to main content



To be eligible for honours, you’ll need to have a strong academic record, with a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of 65 to 75 percent depending on your program. This is automatically checked when we process your application.

You may also need to show that you have the ability to conduct high-quality academic research.

If you want to apply for honours, it’s important to plan ahead. Many stand-alone honours programs have prerequisite units of study that you need to complete during your undergraduate degree. Embedded honours programs are integrated into the latter semesters of your undergraduate degree, often replacing electives, so you need to plan your units of study to accommodate this.

If you are showing strong academic performance early in your degree, your faculty or school may invite you to consider the honours program. They will outline the preparation units of study you will need to complete.

Eligibility criteria for each honours program is listed in the information on the following discipline pages.

Entry to honours programs is competitive. Places are often limited and depend on supervisors being available. This means entry to the program is not guaranteed by meeting the eligibility criteria, and may require a higher WAM.

Eligibility for exchange students

If you plan to go on exchange and want to apply for honours, you should first discuss this with the honours coordinator in your faculty or school.

Many honours programs have prerequisite units of study that you need to complete during your degree. You need to ensure you can complete these units of study before or after your exchange, or confirm there are equivalent units of study you can complete during your exchange program.

Your results are used to calculate your WAM for entry. If you go on exchange, there may be delays in receiving your results, and this could prevent your application from being assessed.

How to apply

Generally the application process will follow the following steps. This may vary depending on your faculty and type of honours program, so check any additional information provided for your program.

Prepare a research topic proposal

You need to choose a research topic for your honours program. This should be an area of interest to you and considered of academic importance to your faculty. Most disciplines have an honours coordinator to assist with preparing your topic proposal, and in some cases may provide a list of available projects.

It is best to submit your research topic proposal early on. For stand-alone programs this should be before the end of your final semester. Be aware that pre-approval of your topic doesn’t guarantee entry to the honours program, you will still need to meet the other eligibility requirements.

In some faculties and schools, you may need to provide a preliminary topic proposal first. Once this is approved, you then develop a more detailed research proposal that will form part of your thesis.


Find a supervisor

You may need to arrange a supervisor before you apply.

Contact your honours coordinator in your faculty or school for information about honours projects and potential supervisors. It is best to find a supervisor with experience in your topic area.

You may need to meet with your proposed supervisor to see if they are able to supervise your honours program and discuss your proposed research topic. You should provide evidence of this with your application.


Submit your application

Submit an application form with any required supporting documents. The way this is done and the application deadlines vary depending on your program of choice and faculty.

Student Centre

  • Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Make an enquiry

Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Extended in-person opening hours first two weeks of semester and during exams.

Last updated: 09 January 2019

Website feedback

Tell us if you’ve spotted a typo or something else wrong with this page.

Thank you

Your feedback has been sent.

Sorry there was a problem sending your feedback. Please try again

You should only use this form to send feedback about the content on this webpage – we will not respond to other enquiries made through this form. If you have an enquiry or need help with something else such as your enrolment, course etc you can contact the Student Centre.