Associate Professor Penny Russell
Phone: + 61 2 9351 2362
Please refer to the degree resolutions in this Handbook for information on the specific admission requirements for different award courses.
Graduate Certificate in Arts (History)
4 units of study = 24 credit points
Graduate Diploma in Arts (History)
6 units of study = 36 credit points
Master of Arts (History)
8 units of study = 48 credit points
Master of Letters
12 units of study = 72 credit points incl. a Treatise
All candidates may select units from outside their specialisation up to a maximum of half the course requirements. Units of study may be selected from other faculties as part of this amount to a maximum of 6 credit points for Graduate Certificate candidates, and 12 credit points for Graduate Diploma and Master's candidates.
Candidates for the Master of Letters (History) must complete the two treatise units of study (24 credit points) listed for the course.
Units of study
- HSTY6987 Writing the Past
- HSTY6945 Australian Cultural History: Problems
- HSTY7001 The History of Human Rights
- HSTY6915 MA Dissertation Part 1*
- HSTY6916 MA Dissertation Part 2*
- ARTS7000 Academic Communication for Postgraduates
- CHSC6907 Modern Chinese History
- JCTC6908 The Australian Jewish Experience
- JCTC6912 Holocaust Research: Trends and Problems
- JCTC6913 German Jewish Experience
Core Units - Master of Letters
- HSTY6962 Treatise Part 1* (12 credit points)
- HSTY6963 Treatise Part 2* (12 credit points)
*Department permission required - the dissertation is available to MA candidates only and the treatise is a compulsory component in the MLitt that may not be undertaken by candidates for other award courses. Please discuss your proposed topic for the dissertation or treatise with the postgraduate coordinator prior to enrolling in these units of study.
Dr Julie Smith
Phone: + 61 2 9351 4003