Leading researchers to present their work on labour law
10 August 2012
The Fair Work Act Review, worker's rights in the crisis-riddled Euro Zone, and industrial upheavals at Qantas will all be scrutinised during the 20th Annual Labour Law Conference this Monday 13 August.
As well as these topical issues, Australia's leading labour law and industrial relations researchers will look at topics such as good faith bargaining, anti-discrimination, OHS, social media and unfair dismissal.
The conference, hosted by the University of Sydney, will feature a session on "Australian Labour Law: Current Issues and Future Reform" with a panel including Emeritus Professor Ron McCallum, Sydney Law School, one of the three experts who conducted the recently completed Fair Work Act Review.
Other panel members include
- Andrew Stewart, John Bray Professor of Law, University of Adelaide
- Anthony Forsyth, Associate Professor, Department of Business Law and Taxation, Monash University
- John Buchanan, Director, Workplace Research Centre, University of Sydney Business School, University of Sydney
- Giri Sivaraman, Principal, Maurice Blackburn Lawyers and Employment & Industrial Law expert
- Russell Lansbury, Emeritus Professor, University of Sydney Business School, University of Sydney (Chair).
The international keynote speaker is Mia Ronnmar, Professor in Private Law/Labour Law, Lund University, Sweden, and the editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Comparative Labour Law and Industrial Relations.
Professor Ronnmar also represents Sweden in the European Commission's European Labour Law Networks (ELLN) and is well qualified to address the impact of the Euro Zone's economic crisis on labour law at an EU and national level.
Some of the other speakers include Elizabeth Raper, a barrister with 5 Wentworth Chamber, who will look at the growing issue of social media and unfair dismissal. John Buchanan will consider the Future of Australian Labour Law, while Meg Smith, (Senior Lecturer, University of Western Sydney) will look at pay equity.
When: 9am to 5pm, Monday 13 August
Where: Hilton Hotel, 488 George St, Sydney. See map
|Follow University of Sydney Media on Twitter|
Media enquiries: Karen Treacy, 9351 5624, firstname.lastname@example.org
Trevor Watson, 9351 1918, 0418 648 099, email@example.com