Expanded Architecture - International Architecture Film Night
7 October 2010
The Expanded Architecture - International Architecture Film Night will be held at Performance Space, Carriage Works, from 6pm on Saturday, November 6th, as part of the Sydney Architecture Festival.
Curated by Sydney PhD student Sarah Breen Lovett and her supervisor Dr Lee Stickells, the night will feature over 20 short films from a selection of international artists, academics and architect film-makers.
A broad range of architectural film approaches will be shown on the night, from spatial installation films exploring the place of the spectator to investigations of the formal, cultural and phenomenological qualities of architecture; from abstract experiments to quirky narratives. A rare installation of an original London Film-makers Co-op film from 1969 will be a highlight of the evening.
The film screenings will be followed by a panel discussion featuring experts in the interdisciplinary space between architecture and film, including:
- Mike Leggett - An original 1970s London Film-makers Co-op Expanded Cinema Artist, who has exhibited widely across Europe, Australia, North and South America
- Louise Mackenzie - Director of SONA CINECITY Architecture Film Workshops
- Dr onacloV - Artist and Academic in Film and Multimedia Installation from Design Lab at the University of Sydney
- Associate Professor Chris Smith - Head of Architecture at The University of Sydney and co-editor of the forthcoming Architecture in the Space of Flows (London, Routledge: 2010)
- Dr Richard Smith - Film Theorist on phenomenological cinematic subjectivity within the Department of Art History and Film Studies at the University of Sydney
- Michael Tawa - Professor of Architecture at the University of Sydney and author of Agencies of the Frame: Tectonic Strategies in Cinema and Architecture (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne: 2010.)
"Its about how we can re-think architecture in terms of the moving image, in both its representative and experiential forms." Sarah Breen Lovett said. Sarah has exhibited her architectural films and installations in Sydney, Melbourne, London, Dublin and Rome. See sarahbreenlovett.blogspot.com
Expanded Architecture Film Night is a free event for the first 100 people who RSVP to performancespace.com.au
Contact: John Elliott
Phone: 02 9351 7591