Conference: Tackling Complex Needs: An Inter-disciplinary Exploration
11 December 2012
To register, please click here.
This one-day conference will explore 'complex needs'. By adopting a critical inter-disciplinary analysis, conference presenters will explore the multiple needs of criminal justice and human service clients more broadly.
Speakers will include:
- Professor Eileen Baldry (University of NSW)
- Associate Professor Susan Goodwin (University of Sydney)
- Alison Churchill (Community Restorative Centre)
- Leigh Garrett (OARS, South Australia)
- Phillip Borg (Housing NSW)
- Brendan Delahunty (NSW Ombudsman)
- Jenny Bargen (Sydney Institute of Criminology)
- Kat Armstrong (Women in Prison Advocacy Network)
- Dr. Cathy Kezelman (Adults Surviving Child Abuse)
- Dr Leanne Dowse (University of NSW)
- Associate Professor Judy Cashmore (University of Sydney)
- Corinne Henderson (Mental Health Coordinating Council)
Introduction and welcome Sydney Institute of Criminology
SESSION 1: 9.10am-9.40am
Complex Needs - Setting the Scene Professor Eileen Baldry, UNSW
SESSION 2: 9.40am-10.30am
Disability, Trauma and Abuse Dr Leanne Dowse, UNSW; Kat Armstrong, Women In Prison Advocacy Network; Corinne Henderson, Mental Health Coordinating Council; Dr Cathy Kezelman, Adults Surviving Child Abuse.
MORNING TEA: 10.30am-11.00am
BREAK-OUT SESSIONS 1: 11.00am-12.30pm
Homelessness and Housing Phil Borg, Housing NSW; Assoc. Professor Sue Goodwin, University of Sydney; John Maynard and Dominic Grenot, City of Sydney,
Drugs, Crime and Justice Ruth Marshall Dept. of Juvenile Justice; John Howard, National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre; Phil Naden and Nioka Bill, Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT.
BREAK-OUT SESSIONS 2: 1.30pm-3.00pm
Post-Release Support: The Role of NGOs Leigh Garrett, Offenders Aid and Rehabilitation Service SA; Alison Churchill, Community Restorative Centre NSW; Vaughan Winther, Aust. Community Support Organisation VIC.
Care/Crime Nexus Assoc. Professor Judy Cashmore and Jenny Bargen, University of Sydney; Brendan Delahunty, NSW Ombudsman.
AFTERNOON TEA: 3.00pm-3.30pm
PRESENTATION & PANEL 3.30pm-4.30pm
Legal Issues and Complex Needs: Shifting Terrain John McKenzie, Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT, Deborah Macourt, Law and Justice Foundation
CLOSING REMARKS 4.30pm-5.00pm
Sydney Institute of Criminology
COCKTAIL RECEPTION from 5.00pm
Join us for a drink and canapé to conclude the conference
Time: 9am - 5pm
Cost: Full fee: $200; FT student: $100; Uni of Sydney staff: $150; Sydney Law School alumni: $150 inc. GST
Contact: PLaCE Coordinator
Phone: 02 9351 0429