Magnetism in the Universe
5 January 2010
Professor Bryan Gaensler from the Sydney Institute for Astronomy on the topic of Magnetism in the Universe, which was only discovered in the 20th century.
- What is a magnet?
- What objects in the universe are magnetic?
- How are magnets detected in space?
- How do we detect magnetic fields, despite the fact they are invisible?
- What is the relationship between magnetism and the formation of galaxies?
- How is magnetism related to the existance of life?
- Could we exist without magnetism?
- What does this mean for space exploration?
- Magnetism and Faraday Rotation
- The relationships between magnetism and sun spots
The Brainsmatter podcast, which started in September 2006, includes discussion of science, trivia, history, and general knowledge as well as interviews with experts in their field.