Physics Awarded $2.7M in ARC Discovery Grants
25 October 2010
The University of Sydney's School of Physics has been successful in the outcomes of the ARC Discovery Grants announced today. The School received $2.7million in grants in a diverse range of areas including Materials Engineering, Space Science, Optical Physics and Atomic, Molecular, Nuclear, Particle and Plasma Physics. As well Dr Sean Farrell has been awarded an ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship - congratulations Sean.
Warm congratulations to all Physics ARC Grant recipients. A list of the School of Physics ARC Discovery Grant recipients along with their funding and project summaries is below:
1. MATERIALS ENGINEERING. Prof Marcela M Bilek, Prof Dougal G McCulloch, Dr Martina Lattemann, Prof Ulf Helmersson - Project Title: New generation pulsed magnetron sputtering for the synthesis of advanced materials.
2011 - $160,000.00
2012 - $160,000.00
2013 - $160,000.00
2. ASTRONOMICAL AND SPACE SCIENCES. Prof Iver H Cairns, Prof Peter A Robinson. Project Title: Integrated data-tested theory and modelling of type three solar radio emissions.
3. ASTRONOMICAL AND SPACE SCIENCES. Dr Sean A Farrell: Project Title - Hyper-luminous X-ray sources as the missing link in black hole evolution.
Plus ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship Dr Sean A Farrell, The University of Sydney
4. ASTRONOMICAL AND SPACE SCIENCES. Prof Geraint F Lewis, Prof Michael J Irwin, Dr Alan W McConnachie. Project Title: Caught in the act: an unparalleled view of galaxy evolution.
5. OPTICAL PHYSICS. Prof Ross C McPhedran, Dr Christopher G Poulton, Prof Lindsay C Botten. Project Title: Beyond metamaterials: new composites for transforming photonics.
6. OPTICAL PHYSICS. A/Prof David J Moss, Dr Christelle Monat, Prof Yeshaiahu Fainman. Project Title: Breaking the glass ceiling: silicon-nitride (SiN) and doped silica glass for ultra high speed. Complementary metal-oxide-semiconductor (CMOS) compatible optical processing and measurement chips.
7. ASTRONOMICAL AND SPACE SCIENCES. Dr Tara Murphy, Prof Bryan M Gaensler. Project Title: Extreme events: mining the radio sky for gamma-ray bursts with intelligent algorithms.
8. ATOMIC, MOLECULAR, NUCLEAR, PARTICLE AND PLASMA PHYSICS. Prof Serguei V Vladimirov, Dr Roman Kompaneets. Project Title: Nonlinear surface waves and processes in quantum plasma as future technique for nanoelectronics.
Contact: Alison Muir
Phone: 02 9036 5194