Working after hours
When working after hours, the risk of incidents occurring may increase due to fatigue, reduced access to immediate assistance, reduced levels of staffing and technical supervision. The University Working Safely After Hours Guidelines provides a risk management framework for the Faculty to use as the local after-hours procedures.
This guideline does NOT address:
- Staff, students or visitors conducting fieldwork
- On campus residences;
- Construction/Maintenance contractors; or
- Issues of overtime or other paid work matters.
The normal working hours in the Faculty are Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6:00 pm.
Limited after hours in the Faculty are:
- Monday to Friday 5.00 am to 8.00 am and 6.00 pm to 11.00 pm
- Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
- Whenever possible, avoid working after 11 pm at night and before 5 am in the morning.
- Sign In and Out on the register book, this register book is located in the glass cabinet inside the front entrance.
- Staff and students must carry their ID card and copy of the approval.
- No unauthorised staff or students (e.g. friends and family members).
- Follow established procedures and take reasonable steps to ensure their own and others safety.
- Stop work immediately in the event of an incident or emergency.
- Report incidents to supervisor who will lodge the incident to RiskWare.
- Personal safety issues may need to be taken into account when leaving a building after dark.
- University Security can provide safe (late night) escorts to your motor vehicles, bus stops or campus residences.
- Contact Security on 9351 3487 if service is required.
For more information please check the safety manual.