Working after hours
The normal working hours in the Faculty are Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 5:30 pm.
Working alone or after-hours is only permitted with the prior permission of the academic supervisor.
Anyone working outside these hours will be required to sign in/out.
The sign-book is located in the glass cabinet inside the front entrance, and requires a simple entry of Date, Name, Time in, Location, and finally Time out. Any infringement of this policy will lead to disciplinary action, and repeated infringements may result in exclusion from the laboratories.
- Working after hours for Class 2 activities is only permitted when at least two people wish to work in the same area (i.e. within earshot and/or line of sight of each other at all times). Staff and students are requested to complete all Class 2 activities by 12:00 midnight and not to carry out Class 3/4 work after 7:00 pm.
- Postgraduate students may perform Class 2 experiments in laboratories until 12:00 midnight, although it is envisaged that such activities will not occur on a regular basis. Working after this time can involve an unacceptable risk due to fatigue of the worker. Only under exceptional circumstances, and with the express permission of a member of the academic staff authorised by the Dean, may students perform Class 2 experiments after 12:00 midnight.
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays are treated as a normal after hours period.
- Class 3/4 experiments may only be carried out with permission of a member of the academic staff authorised by the Dean.
- Class 2 experiments should be completed by 12:00 midnight unless permission of a member of the academic staff authorised by the Dean is obtained.
For more information about work classes please check the safety manual.