Contractors: design guidelines and documents
These guidelines have been prepared to assist professional consultants in the design and documentation of the University of Sydney projects.
The guides provide direction and guidance on meeting the University’s requirements.
- high quality, sustainable physical environments that the meet the need of the University Community
- functionality, reliability and serviceability of facilities, systems and components
- flexibility for growth and change
- resource efficiency
- safety and security
- minimum lifestyle cost of ownership including design, construction, operating and maintenance costs
- value added in facilities and infrastructure investment
The University must be able to plan, review, and maintain current and new assets with minimal cost and ease after completion of construction.
We also need to be able to integrate new and proposed assets, and remove redundant assets in the near or long term future. Designs and documentation must include the best possible solution for reducing asset life cycle costs.
Guides and manuals
The following guides and manuals will enable consultants to more efficiently translate the University's requirements into acceptable design solutions.
The Design Standards are currently being updated. Please check with the relevant Project Manager for clarification on these versions.
- Asset Barcode Register (PDF 55.1KB)
- Asset Codes (PDF 109KB)
- Asset Registration (PDF 58KB)
- Asset Registration Template (PDF 58KB)
- Building Management Systems Design Guidelines (PDF 105KB )
- Building Design Guidelines (PDF 59KB)
- Electrical Services Design Guidelines (PDF 102KB)
- Fire and Essential Services Design Guidelines (PDF 107KB)
- Grounds Design Guidelines (PDF 2.4MB)
- Hydraulics Services Design Guidelines (PDF 130KB)
- Lifts (Vertical Transport) Design Guidelines (PDF 55.4KB)
- Mechanical Services Design Guidelines (PDF 99.8KB)
- Roofing and Penetrations Design Guidelines (PDF 95.9KB)
- Trenching and Excavation Design Guidelines (PDF 81.2KB)
- Security Design and Planning (PDF 49KB)
The Internal Signage Manual (PDF 8.2MB) provides guidance on our a standard approach to the use of information and wayfinding signs on campus.
The manual allows us to provide consistent and accessible information through the use of consistent typography, graphics, sign placement, sign types, and placement of signs.
All internal signage is designed to be modular and flexible, and cohesive in their form and graphic standards. The manual also requires sings to be designed so that they integrate with the external signage.
Download the internal signage manual (PDF 8.2MB)
The External Signage Manual (PDF 4.1MB) documents external information and directional signage for the Camperdown and Darlington campuses.
The document sets out:
- design parameters
- type and location for the signs
- the entire system and hierarchy of signage
- sign schedules
- graphic standards
- construction drawings
Download the External Signage Manual (PDF 4.1MB)