Healthy Sydney University
Healthy Sydney University aims to create a university that supports health and wellbeing for all.
Since 2012, the University of Sydney has been engaged in a whole of population approach to improve the health and wellbeing of staff, students and visitors.
Healthy Sydney University brings students and staff together from across the university to generate innovative and evidence-informed approaches to promoting healthy people, healthy places and healthy policies.
Our strategies are informed by the best available evidence and are rigorously evaluated to ensure we generate new evidence around healthy learning and working environments.
By focusing initiatives across three key areas (healthy people, healthy places and healthy policies), Healthy Sydney University takes a comprehensive and integrated approach to supporting our staff and students to be healthy and well.
The Chair of Healthy Sydney University is Professor Gwynnyth Llewellyn.
How can I be involved?
- Join a Healthy Sydney University working group
- Contact us if you have an idea for a healthy initiative we could support or if you would like to receive our monthly newsletter
- Talk with your colleagues and students about possible initiatives or projects that could be run in your faculty, school, department or organisation.
Current projects and initiatives
- 'Fat Chance': nutrition and obesity in Australia - film screening and panel discussion Monday 17 November 2014 4.30-6pm Seminar Room 6.1 Charles Perkins Centre, hosted by Healthy Sydney University and the Charles Perkins Centre. Click here to register.
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction trial for University staff with Safety, Health & Wellbeing and Brain and Mind Research Institute
- Ride 2 Uni Day - Wednesday 15 October 2014 7.30am-10am on Eastern Avenue. Sign up here for your free breakfast! Supported by Campus Infrastructure Services (CIS).
- Food Environment Intervention - Student Collaboration with Cumberland Student Guild
- Graduate Attributes Project - you can read our concept paper here
- "Are our assessments making us unhealthy?" presentation to the Sydney Teaching Colloquium 30 September 2014
- "Walking the talk: the university as a healthy setting" presentation at the Emerging Health Policy Research Conference 2 October, hosted by the Menzies Centre for Health Policy
- Systematic Review of Literature - To review the international literature evaluating university-wide approaches to supporting the mental health and wellbeing of university students and/or staff. Led by Assoc Prof Ana Fernandez (Faculty of Health Sciences) and members of the Mental Wellbeing group.