Consultations and appointments
to discuss a consultation time.
- Program Director | Illumination Design
- DESC9166 | Photo and Colorimetric Concepts and Measurement
- DESC9167 | Vision and Visual Perception
- DESC0168 | The Visual Field and Human Factors
- DESC9164 | Light Sources and Luminaires
- Visual perception of lighting
- Applications of emerging and next-generation lighting technologies
- Phd | Doctor of Philosophy (Vision Science), University of California, Berkeley, 2004.
- Master of Science | University of California, Berkeley.
- Bachelor of Arts | Cum Laude, (Physiology and Pyschology), University of Minnesota, Twin Cities.
- Associate Professor | Illumination Design, University of Sydney (2012)
- Vision Scientist | Colour and Lighting Group, National Institute of Standards and Technology (USA). (2007-2011).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate | National Research Council, National Institute of Standards and Technology (USA) (2005-2007).
- Guest Researcher | National Institute of Standards and Technology (USA) (2004-2005).
- Research Assistant | Human Factors Research and Technology Division, NASA Ames Research Centre (1999).
- Research Associate | Life Sciences Division, NASA Aimes Research Centre (1998)
- Undergraduate Researcher | Departments of Psychology and School of Dentistry (1997-1999).
- Research Assistant | Eye Care Associates, Minneapolis, MN. (1997-1999).
- 2011-ongoing | Member, National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council "Committee on Assessment of Solid State Lighting".
- 2010-ongoing | Advisor, International Commission on Illumination (CIE) Technical Commitee 3-50, "Lighting quality measures for interior lighting with LED lighting systems".
- 2007-ongoing | Reviewer, Numerous Journals, including: [Colour Research and Application, Journal of the Optic Society of America, Lighting Research and Technology, Journal of Modern Optics, Applied Optics.
- 2006-ongoing | Chair, CIE Technical Committee 1-69, Colour Rendition by White Light Sources.
- 2008-2011 | Member, Council for Optical Radiation Measurements (CORM) sub-comittee CR-* "Solid State Lighting',
- 2010 | Invited participant, US Department of Energy Multi-Year Program Update Roundtable.
- 2005-2009 | Co-instructor, NIST Photometry short course.
- 2006-2008 | Member, American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Working group C78-09 Task Group C, "Chromaticity".
- 2005-2007 | Member, NIST Telemedicine Working Group.
- 2006 | Judge, Lighting for Tomorrow's 2006 Solid State Lighting Competition.
- 2005 | Technical Reviewer, NASA Standard 3000 - Human Systems Integration Standards: Strategic Update Project, Lighting Requirements Review, 2005.
Wendy Davis is an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning at the University of Sydney. Prior to this recent appointment, she spent over seven years as a Vision Scientist in the Lighting and Color Group at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the United States of America. Wendy earned her Ph.D. (2004) and M.S. (2001) degrees from the University of California, Berkeley in Vision Science.
Wendy is an active researcher in topics related to lighting and colour, with a particular interest on quality and desirability issues in emerging and next-generation energy efficient lighting technologies. With a colleague at the NIST, she developed the Color Quality Scale (CQS) to evaluate the colour rendering properties of light sources for general illumination. The CQS is increasingly used by developers of lighting products, specifiers and designers. This work led to her 2009 United States Department of Commerce Silver Medal Award for Scientific/Engineering Achievement "For developing measurement methods and technical standards to accelerate the commercialization of energy-efficient, solid-state lighting products."
Wendy is involved in several professional and standards organizations, including the International Commission on Illumination (CIE) and the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES). She chairs the CIE technical committee 1-69 'Colour Rendition by White Light Sources,' which has been tasked with recommending a new metric for the assessment of light source color rendering. Wendy is a member of the IES Color Committee, which is completely rewriting the Color and Illumination Design Guide. She is also a member of the National Research Council’s Committee on Assessment of Solid State Lighting. Wendy acted as a judge for Lighting for Tomorrow’s first ever solid-state lighting design competition in 2006 and served as a technical reviewer for NASA's lighting requirements in 2005.
Wendy is also an enthusiastic educator and the director of the Illumination Design postgraduate program at the University of Sydney. She has given invited presentations at numerous lighting conferences, including Strategies in Light, the International Symposium on the Science and Technology of Light Sources (LS), Council for Optical Radiation Measurements (CORM), Quadrennial Session of the CIE, and LEDs Summit.
2011 | Neumann, A., Wierer, J. J., Davis, W., Ohno, Y., Brueck, S. R. J., & Tsao, J.Y., 'Four-color laser white illuminant demonstrating high color-rendering quality,' Optics Express, 19(S4): A982-A990.
2010 | Davis, W. & Ohno, Y., "The Color Quality Scale," Optical Engineering, 49(3):033602 (2010).
2009 | 4. Dowling, K., Davis., W., Zong, Y., Miller, C., & Ohno, Y., "Осветительная установка НИСТ с регулируемым спектром для исследований в области цветопередачи," СВЕТОТЕХНИКА, 5- 2009:37-40.
2009 | Davis, W. & Ohno, Y., "Approaches to color rendering measurement," Journal of Modern Optics, 56(13):1412-1419.
2008 | Ohno, Y. & Davis, W. "Color Quality and Spectra," Photonics Spectra, 42(7):71-72.
2003 | Davis, W., Frederick, C.M., & De Valois, K.K. "Building a representation of aspect ratio." Journal of Vision, 3(12):13a.
2001 | He, S., & Davis, W.L. "Filling-in at the natural blind spot contributes to binocular rivalry." Vision Research, 41(7):835-840.
2002 | Davis, W. & De Valois, K.K.
"Measuring the role of chromatic saturation and luminance contrast in color spreading using hue cancellation." Journal of Vision, 2(10):25a.
2001 | Hamamoto, D.T., Forkey, M.W., Davis, W.L., Kajander, K.C., & Simone, D.A. "The role of pH and osmolarity in evoking the acetic acid-induced wiping response in a model of nociception in frogs." Brain Research. 862(1-2):217-229.
1999 | Hamamoto, D.H., Forkey, M.W., Davis, W.L., & Kajander, K.C. "Acids Evoke the Wiping Response in Frogs at Different pHs." Journal of Dental Research, 78:433.
1998 | Hamamoto, D.H., Davis, W.L., Forkey, M.W., & Kajander, K.C. "Role of protons and acetate in evoking nocifensive behaviors in frogs." Journal of Dental Research. 77:218.
1998 | Sher, N.A., & Davis, W.D. "Excimer myopic PRK follow-up." EyeWorld, 3(8):42-43.
2011 | Davis, W., Weintraub, S., & Anson, G. "Perception of Correlated Color Temperature: The Color of White," 27th Session of the CIE, Sun City, South Africa, 197-202.
2009 | Davis, W. & Ohno, Y., "Studies on the effect of illuminance on color rendering," Proc. CIE 2009: Light and Lighting Conference, Budapest, Hungary (2009).
2009 | Miller, C., Ohno, Y., Davis, W., Zong, Y., & Dowling, K. "NIST spectrally tunable lighting facility for color rendering and lighting experiments," Proc. CIE 2009: Light and Lighting Conference, Budapest, Hungary.
2007 | Ohno, Y. & Davis, W. "Color Quality and Spectral Design of White LED Sources," Proc. First
International Conference on White LEDs and Solid State Lighting, Tokyo, Japan. 129-134.
2007 | Davis, W. & Ohno, Y. "Measuring color quality of light sources," Proc. 11th International
Symposium on the Science and Technology of Light Sources, Shanghai, China, 459-468 (2007).
2006 | Davis, W. "Measuring Color Quality of Light Sources," Proc. Sixth International Conference on
Solid State Lighting, SPIE 6337: 63370L.
2006 | Davis, W. and Ohno, Y. "Evaluation of color difference formulae for color rendering metrics," Proc. CIE Expert Symposium on 75 Years of the CIE Standard Colorimetric Observer, Ottawa, Canada, CIE x030:2006, 151-155.
2006 | Davis, W. & Ohno, Y. "Development of a Color Quality Scale (CQS)," Proc. Sixth International Lighting Research Symposium on Light and Color, Orlando, FL.
2005 | W. Davis & Y. Ohno, "Toward an Improved Color Rendering Metric," Proc. Fifth International Conference on Solid State Lighting, SPIE 5941, 59411G.
2005 | C. C. Miller, W. Davis, S. E, Lee, R. E, Gibbons, & Y. Ohno. "General Practice for the Measurement of Flashing Lights," Proc. of CIE Midterm Meeting & International Lighting Congress, Leon, Spain, published in CD.
2005 | W. Davis & Y. Ohno, "NIST Facility for Color Rendering Simulation," Proc. AIC Colour 05 - 10th Congress of the International Colour Association, May 9-13, 2005, Granada, Spain, 519-522.
2001 | Davis, W.L., & De Valois, K.K. "Hue selectivity and the magnitude of the Ebbinghaus illusion." Optical Society of America and University of California Irvine Vision and Color meeting. Optics Express, 9(8):PC5
2000 | Davis, W.L., & De Valois, K.K. "Influence of hue on illusions of size." Optical Society of America Annual Meeting and Exhibit 2000, 79.