Women and Work Research Group (WWRG)
To understand and progress women's working lives
The Women and Work Research Group (WWRG) provides high quality research, research training and consultancy on all aspects of women's experience of work, employment, family and community in Australia and the Asia-Pacific Region, with aims reflecting its scholarly and community engagement. Over recent years, WWRG's work has covered parental, maternity and paternity leave, flexible working and carers issues, migrant women and work, childcare, pay equity and equal opportunity for women in the workplace and women's health issues at work including the impact of domestic violence.
- WWRG Director: Dr Marian Baird, Professor of Employment Relations
- WWRG Deputy Director: Dr Rae Cooper, Associate Professor, Work and Organisational Studies, Business School
- WWRG Research Associate: Alexandra Heron
A symposium for International Women's Day 2015 -Taking a hard look at flexible working: who benefits and how?
Prof Marian Baird and A/Prof Rae Cooper, University of Sydney Business School
2nd Mar 2015 12:00pm-2:00pm University of Sydney
4th November 2014 2:00pm - 4:00pm University of Sydney
Professor Rajeshwari Deshpande. University of Pune, India
12th Sep 2014 12:30pm-2:00pm The University of Sydney
Professor Sabina Nielsen, Copenhagen Business School; Michael Coutts-Trotter, NSW Department of Family and Community Services; Susan Price, PricewaterhouseCoopers
Workforce Attachment Policy Comparisons
The attached paper compares the Female Workforce Attachment Policies of the political parties. It has been authored by Professor Marian Baird, and Irina Kolodizner, and authorised by the National Foundation for Australian Women Social Policy Committee.
WWRG members along with more than 25 other Australian Academics who constitute The Work and Family Policy Roundtable, release Work, Care and Family Policies: Election Benchmarks 2013.
Visit the Work + Family Policy Rountable website for a full outline of the Benchmarks.
Current Issues & Publications
Childcare & Early Childhood Learning Productivity Commission Public Inquiry
- The WWRG made a submission in September 2014 to the Productivity Commission on it draft inquiry report.
WGEA reporting requirements consultation
- The WWRG made a submission in August 2014 to the consultation on the reporting requirements to the WGEA for employers of 100 or more employees outside the public sector.
The Right to Request flexible working arrangements
- The WWRG made a submission to the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Education and Employment Inquiry into the Fair Work Amendment (Better Work/Life Balance) Bill 2012
Women, Work and the Global Economic Downturn, a WWRG research report
- Women, Work and the Global Economic Downturn published by the Australian Office for Women in 2011
Mature Age Workers and Eldercare, a WWRG research report
- Taking Care: Mature age workers with elder care responsibilities released by NSW OIR for 2010 Carers Week
The Government Review of the Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act and Agency has been completed and legislation amending the Act is before Parliament (April 2012)