Prof Andrew Ruys
BE PhD UNSW
Phone: +61-02 9351 8610
Fax: +61-02 9351 7060
Address: 216 J13 - Link Building
- Advanced engineering ceramics
- Functionally graded materials
- Biomaterials surface science
- Biomedical device design
- PhD, University of NSW, 1992
- BE (Honours 1), University of NSW, 1987
Honours, prizes and awards
- Sydney University Dean’s Award for Teaching Service, 2005
- ARC Queen Elizabeth II Fellowship, 2001
- U2000 Fellowship, University of Sydney, 1997
- ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 1994
- Finalist, Channel Ten Young Achiever Awards, Science and Technology, 1990
- Alcan Bicentennial Research Award, 1988
- Commonwealth Postgraduate Research Award, 1987
- The BHP Company Prize for Best Honours Thesis Project, 1986
- Professor in Biomedical Engineering, University of Sydney, 2011-present
- Associate Professor in Biomedical Engineering, University of Sydney, 2007-2011
- Program Coordinator and Conjoint Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering, University of Sydney, 2003-Present
- Senior Research Fellow (Queen Elizabeth II), University. of Sydney, 2001-2006
- U2000 Research Fellow, University of Sydney, 1997-2000
- ARC Postdoctoral Fellow, University of NSW, 1994-96
- ARC Senior Research Associate in Biomedical Engineering, University of NSW, 1992-93
- Research Associate in Biomedical Engineering, University of NSW, 1991
Chapters in books (since 2003)
- W. Ma, A.J. Ruys, H. Zreiqat,” Diamond-like carbon (DLC) as a biocompatible coating for orthopaedics and blood-interfacing applications – A critical review”, Cellular Response to Biomaterials. CRC Press/Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, Switzerland. Editor: L. Di Silvio. (2008).
- C.C.Sorrell, O.C. Standard, J. Nowotny, and A.J. Ruys, “Surface Chemistry and Surface Segregation in Bioceramics”, pp 13-21 in Ceramics, Cells, and Tissues. Bioceramic Surfaces. Behaviour In Vitro and In Vivo. Edited by A. Ravaglioli and A. Krajewski, ISTEC-CNR, Faenza, (2003).
Refereed journal papers (selected paper since 2003)
- N. Annabi, S.M. Mithieux, E.A. Boughton, A.J. Ruys, A.S. Weiss, F. Dehghani, “Synthesis of Highly Porous Cross-linked Elastin Hydrogels and their Interaction with Fibroblasts In Vitro”, Biomaterials 30, 4550-57, (2009).
- C.M. Chan and A.J. Ruys, “Biomimetic Design of High-Temperature Lightweight Ceramics”, J. Biom. Biomater. Tiss. Eng., 2, 73-93, (2009).
- E. Soh and A. Ruys, “Foamed Alumina Tissue Scaffolds”, J. Biom. Biomater. Tisss. Eng., 4, 21-26, (2009).
- S. Liyanage, P.Boughton, G Roger, J Hyvarinen, A Ruys. Design Review & Preliminary Testing For A Biomimetic Absorbable Ligament Anchor, J. Biom. Biomater. Tiss. Eng. 4, 71-96, (2009).
- C.M. Chan and A.J. Ruys, Sintering Studies of Carbon-Fibre-Reinforced Fused Silica for High-Temperature Applications, Interceram, (Accepted for Publication 12/2009).
- N. Yu, A.J. Ruys, M. Zenios, C. Godfrey, M. McDonald, K. Mikulec, P. Kiely, D.G. Little, and A. Schindeler, “Biodegradable Poly(hydroxy acid) Polymer Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering" J. Biomed. Mater. Res.: B Appl. Biomater., (Accepted for Publication 11/2009).
- N.Y.C Yu, A.J. Ruys, M. Zenios, M. McDonald, C. Godfrey, K. Mikulec, P. Kiely, D.G. Little, A. Schindeler, “Bisphosphonate-laden acrylic bone cement: mechanical properties, elution performance, and in vivo activity”, J. Biomed Mater. Res. B. Appl. Biomat., 87B, 482-91, (2008).
- C. Wong, A.J. Ruys, and J.M. Cairney, “Freeze-dried nanoparticulate sols”, Mater. Forum, 32, 78-81, (2008).
- F.S. Magdon Ismail, R. Rohanizadeh, S. Atwa, R.S. Mason, A.J. Ruys, P.J. Martin, A. Bendavid, “The influence of surface chemistry and topography on the contact guidance of MG63 Osteoblast cells”, J. Mater. Sci. Mater Med., 18, 705-714, (2007).
- W.J. Ma, A.J. Ruys, R.S. Mason, P.J. Martin, A. Bendavid, Z. Liu, M. Ionescu, H. Zreiqat, “DLC Coatings: Effects of Physical and Chemical Properties on Biological Response”, Biomaterials, 28, 1620-28, (2007).
- C.M. Chan, A.J. Ruys, “Carbon-fiber-reinforced low thermal expansion ceramic matrix composites”, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 27, 305-309, (2007).
- D.T.Chavara, A.J. Ruys, “Development of the impeller-dry-blending process for the fabrication of metal-ceramic functionally graded materials”, Ceram. Eng. Sci. Proc., 27, 311-319, (2007).
- N.A. Hamzaid, C. Fornusek, A.J. Ruys and G.M. Davis, “Mechanical Design and Driving Mechanism of an isokinetic functional electrical stimulation-based leg stepping trainer”, Aust. Phys. Eng. Sci. Med., 30, 323-6, (2007).
- E.C. Kolos, A.J. Ruys, R.Rohanizadeh, M.M. Muir, G. Roger, “Calcium Phosphate Fibres Synthesized from a Simulated Body Fluid”, J. Mat. Sci.: Mat. Med., 17, 1179-89, (2006).
- E. Kolos, A.J. Ruys, R. Rohanizadeh, M.M. Muir, and G.J. Roger, “HA Fibre Compact Bone Filler Manufactured from Novel HA fibres Synthesized from a Simulated Body Fluid”, Key Eng. Mat., 284, 643-46, (2005).
- M. Wei, A.J. Ruys, B.K. Milthorpe, and C.C. Sorrell, " Hydroxyapatite-coated metals: Interfacial reactions during sintering", J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med., 16, 101-106, (2005).
- M. Wei, A.J. Ruys, B.K. Milthorpe, and C.C. Sorrell, "Precipitation of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles: Effects of precipitation method on electrophoretic deposition", J. Mater. Sci. Mater Med., 16, 319-24, (2005).
- E.C. Kolos, A.J. Ruys, R. Rohanizadeh, M.M. Muir, G. Roger, “Novel Biomimetic Coating of Cotton with Calcium Phosphate with 5´SBF with Cell Attachment Study”, J. Aust. Ceram. Soc., 40, 28-32, (2004).
- E.C. Kolos, A.J. Ruys, R. Rohanizadeh, M.M. Muir, and G. Roger, “Novel Calcium Phosphate Fibres from a Biomimetic Process: Manufacture and Cell Attachment”, Key Eng Mat., 254, 343-346, (2004).
- E. Kolos, A.J. Ruys, and G. Roger, “A Novel Biomimetic Approach for the manufacture of Hydroxyapatite Fibres”, Key Eng. Mat., 240, 47-50, (2003).