What employers want
According to a survey of Graduate Employers, the 10 most important criteria in selecting graduates were:
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical reasoning and analytical/ problem solving skills
- Passion/ industry knowledge/ drive
- Cultural and values alignment
- Academic qualifications
- Teamwork skills
- Emotional intelligence
- Work Experience
- Extra-curricular activities
- Leadership skills
Are you shocked to discover that academic qualifications are not at the top of the list?
Successful engagement at university is not solely about earning good marks. It is also about developing additional skills that make you a 'well-rounded' graduate.
To enhance your employability, be involved with the university and take the initiative to participate in activities that will help to develop and enable you to demonstrate the above-mentioned skills. These can include: