Research interests & current/recent research projects
Analysis and design of pile foundations, marine geotechnics, earthquake geotechnical engineering.
- Analysis and design of piled raft foundations
- The Influence of Construction “Side Effects” On Existing Pile Foundations.
- Use of stiffness inserts to control settlement and load distribution in pile groups and piled rafts
- Seismic Lateral Response of Piles in Liquefying Soil
- Poulos, H.G. and Davis, E.H., (1974) "Elastic Solutions for Soil and Rock Mechanics". John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Poulos, H.G. and Davis, E.H., (1980) "Pile Foundation Analysis and Design". John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Poulos, H.G., (1988) "Marine Geotechnics". Unwin Hyman, London.
- Poulos, H.G. (1989) "The Mechanics of Calcareous Sediments". John Jaeger Memorial Lecture. Aust. Geomechanics, Special Edition, pp. 8-41.
- Poulos, H.G. (1989) "Pile Behaviour - Theory and Application". 29th Rankine Lecture. Geotechnique, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 365-415.
- Poulos, H.G. (2003). “Pile Performance Prediction for the Emirates Project, Dubai”. Proc. Soil and Rock America 2003, Ed. Culligan, Einstein and Whittle, Verlag Gluckhauf GMBH, Essen, 3:1885-1894.
- Poulos, H.G. (2005). “Piled Raft and Compensated Piled Raft Foundations for Soft Soil Sites” Advances in Designing and Testing Deep Foundations, ed. C. Vipulanandan & F.C. Townsend, ASCE Geot. Spec. Pub. No. 129, 214-234.
- Poulos, H.G. (2005). “Pile Behavior – Consequences of Geological and Construction Imperfections”. 40th Terzaghi Lecture, Jnl. Geotech. & Geoenvir. Eng., ASCE, Vol. 131 (5): 538-563.
Professional Service and Memberships
- Chair, Standards Australia Committee CE18, Piling
- Board Member, International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE).
- Chairman, Joint Technical Committee on Professional Practice (ISSMGE, ISRM, IAEG).
- Editorial Board Member for 4 international journals