Combined Law - The Sydney LLB - How to Apply - Domestic students

Suzanne Howari, Economics/Law

“I have always known that I wanted to study law and so when I pursued my passion at the University of Sydney I knew I was in the best place to materialise my career ambitions. Sydney Law School has been the epitome of first class legal education in the way it imparts to students the knowledge and skills to deal with complex legal issues in both Australian and international jurisdictions. Whether it is Federal Constitutional Law, Contracts or International Law, every subject has captured my curiosity, challenged my critical thinking and made me eager to know more.”

Suzanne Howari, Economics/Law

Combined Law - Entry from High School

For admission into the Combined Law program, domestic students require a Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR) or equivalent. If you are applying on the basis of a high school qualification, you are guaranteed entry if you achieve the following ATAR, or equivalent.

  • Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR) for 2017
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) for 2017

Other equivalent international secondary qualifications may also be accepted, including:

  • Great Britain General Certificate of Education or Comparable Qualifications (UK GCE A Levels)
  • Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)
  • Singapore A Levels
  • United States of America Scholastic Aptitude Test (USA SAT)

Students apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

Combined Law - Transfer

If you do not obtain the ATAR cut-off into Combined Law at Sydney you may like to consider the transfer option. You can enrol in another degree at any University, including Sydney.

You will be assessed according to either your tertiary grades or your secondary qualifications, whichever is higher. If you have not studied at level for at least one year full-time in the same degree, you will be assessed according to your secondary qualifications only. Transfer into Combined Law is competitive and places are limited.

Applications open in August each year for courses commencing in March the following year. If you are unsuccessful in a transfer application at the end of first year you can reapply after second year. The credit transfer policies of the Law School and its partner faculties are used when determining the amount of credit for previous studies. However, it may be difficult to complete Combined Law within the five years and you may wish to consider completing your first degree and then apply for the Juris Doctor.

External students

Apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).

University of Sydney Students

Internal course transfer applications are now open to current University of Sydney students.

Please note you will have to select your partner degree with your LLB, e.g. Commerce/Law. Please go to Bachelor of Laws (Combined Law) and do the following:

  1. Select combined degree program of interest Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws or whichever combined law degree in which you wish to enrol.
  2. click on the blue Apply Now button
  3. Then select domestic applicants and select semester of commencement and click on the blue Apply Directly button

For assistance please call the Helpline: 1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864).