Fees for electives
These fees are to be paid in full within six weeks of elective offer email
Attachment up to 4 weeks A $900
Attachments from 4 to 8 weeks A$1100
Attachments of more than 8 weeks will cost *$A500 per week from Week 1 *
PLEASE NOTE: 16 weeks is the maximum term
Application fees (enrolment and administrative fees) are non-refundable.
Should you notify Concord Clinical School more than 6 months in advance, you may receive 50% refund (no medical certificate required).
Should you notify Concord Clinical School less than 6 months in advance, you will receive no refund.
Postponing your elective placement may be possible but will depend on availability determined by the clinical school. Please note that you will need to provide evidence in support of your application where appropriate at least six months in advance.
- The University of Sydney will not accept students that have enrolled in elective placements at other institutions in Australia if the total period exceeds 8 weeks. You are welcome to spend 4-weeks at one hospital and 4-weeks at another, but if you are planning on spending more than 8-weeks in Australia it must only be at one institution (at the prices stated above).
- The Medical School will not sign forms provided by students certifying that they have the same rights, duties and responsibilities as the students from the University of Sydney. We do provide forms that state the same practical clinical training, so please check with your examination boards before applying.
- Please check with your closest Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate for visa recommendations. The University of Sydney recommends visitor/tourist visas for students who are coming for less than 12 weeks. This visa takes a few weeks to process and is normally granted for a maximum term of 3 months with study rights. Please refer to the following link for eligibility and application instructions: http:www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/976/eligibility.htm. Visa requirements for students over 12 weeks (up to 16 weeks) will be sponsored by University of Sydney for a Subclass 442-Occupational Training Visa.
- International Elective Students are not eligible for Australian student concession cards.
- The Clinical School reserves the right to cancel an elective placement if any information provided is incorrect or misleading.
- Elective placements will be cancelled if all mandatory documents are not submitted to the Clinical School (at least three months) prior to commencement of elective.
- As a medical student you will be involved in day-to-day interactions with patients, members of the public, and members of the medical staff. These interactions may involve discussions of sensitive issues and the performance of a range of clinical duties. Thus while attending the ward, clinics or general practice, your dress and general appearance should be appropriate to the environment. As a guide, a medical student must appear well groomed and professional.
- Your official hospital ID badge must be prominently displayed at all times to ensure that your status as a student is clear.
- Females are expected to dress modestly, avoiding tops that are low-cut or bare the midriff. Short skirts are also inappropriate.
- Jeans and trainers are not acceptable items of clothing. Sandals or open toe shoes are inappropriate in clinical areas as sharp objects may pierce the foot.
- Theatre scrubs are only worn in designated areas and are provided by the hospital.
- If there are any special dress requirements, you will be informed by your hospital.
- A white coat is not necessary.
- Internet access is available to all students upon request.
- The clinical school staff will not accept any gifts or tokens.
A list of private home-stay accommodation near the hospital is available upon request.
Alternatively, the University of Sydney has an Accommodation Service department located at the main campus, which helps students find off-campus accommodation. They maintain an extensive database of accommodation in various areas (but primarily close to the University or within easy access to public transport). More information can be found on the website of the University of Sydney Accommodation Service.
Concord Hospital offers limited accommodation to elective students staying 12-weeks or longer. Only long-term students are eligible to apply. Bookings are organised by the Electives Officer.