Webinar Skills Training in Pain Management
Putting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Skills into Practice
Our Putting Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Skills into Practice webinar training program gives you an opportunity to learn how to help your patients better manage chronic or persisting pain problems.
Each program consists of six webinar sessions of 90 minutes duration conducted over a 2-3 month timeframe. In each session you will explore specific strategies on how to effectively manage patients experiencing chronic pain.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion recognising 24 hours of professional development if all attendance and homework requirements are met.
The six webinar sessions are as follows:
|1||Patient assessment & case formulation|
|2||Explaining case formulation to the patient|
|3||Identifying SMART goals & using motivational interviewing|
|4||Employing self-management skills & developing a treatment plan|
|5||Reinforcing treatment program & maintenance strategies|
|6||Integration of CBT skills|
Mode of delivery
This program is run entirely online, making it accessible to all health professionals across both rural and suburban Australia and internationally.
An Iterative Process
The webinar skills training consists of four basic steps:
- Checking computer compatibility
- Completing pre-reading
- Logging on in time to participate
- Interacting with the facilitator & other participants
- Presenting & discussing homework experiences
- Incorporating the new skills in the management of chronic pain patients (e.g. case formulation, goal setting, activity pacing, thought management, applied relaxation)
- Preparing a written statement about skills practised between sessions
- Reflecting on the experience & documenting insights gained, culminating in a case presentation in the final session to demonstrate competence
You are expected to use the skills covered with your patients between sessions, culminating in a case presentation in the final session. These tasks are designed to give you an opportunity to practise and reflect on the skills you explored in each session.
Each series consists of six sessions - the first five are held weekly and the last session is held four weeks later.
|Webinar Series||Session||Date||Time (AEST)||Status|
|Series 1||Session 1
|Wed 24 February
Wed 9 March
Wed 23 March
Wed 6 April
Wed 20 April
Wed 18 May
|Series 2||Session 1
|Wed 2 March
Wed 16 March
Wed 30 March
Wed 13 April
Wed 27 April
Wed 25 May
|Series 3||Session 1
|Thu 28 April
Thu 5 May
Thu 12 May
Thu 19 May
Thu 26 May
Thu 23 June
|Series 4||Session 1
|Tue 3 May
Tue 17 May
Tue 31 May
Tue 14 June
Tue 28 June
Tue 26 July
- Session times are in Australia Eastern Standard Time (AEST)
- Please ensure you will be able to attend all six dates in the series of interest
- A maximum of 10 participants can register for each series
- A minimum of 6 participants per series are required to proceed
The cost to participate in a webinar series is AUD$770 per person (including GST).
Students and alumni of the University of Sydney Pain Management degree program can register for AUD$700 per person (including GST; student number will be required).
You are welcome to register and pay by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) here.
Alternatively, you can request to be invoiced by emailing .
- Registrations close 5 business days before first session date of series to allow time for postage of materials
- No refunds will be provided once materials have been posted out
All participants receive:
- a comprehensive manual covering the content of the program
- a head set
- advice on the technical aspects of the webinar sessions
- relevant papers for background reading
- a copy of our patient manual (Manage Your Pain by Nicholas et al.)
Follow-up email discussions with the facilitators, if necessary, are also available.