Dr Eamon Merrick
BHSc MHSM PhD RN
M02C - 88 Mallett Street - Building C
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9114 4182|
Eamon Merrick is a Registered Nurse and a lecturer at the Sydney Nursing School, the University of Sydney.
Eamon has a research portfolio that focuses on health services workforce, primary health care, and the quality and safety of care. He has led and managed national research projects which have changed clinical practice, federal policy, and informed national legislation. His work has been recognised and awarded by leading government and industry groups.
Eamon has over ten years experience of critical care nursing, and has held senior administrative and managerial positions.
- Primary Health Care
- Health Workforce
- Health Services Policy
- Clinical Quality & Safety
Teaching and supervision
Developing Nursing Practice (NURS5082)
Primary Care Collaborative Cancer Clinical Trials Group (PC4), Cancer Australia
Australasian College of Health Service Management
Australian Hospitals & Healthcare Association
Peer-reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Nursing
Peer-reviewer for the International Journal for Multiple Research Approaches
Peer-reviewer for the Australasian Emergency Nursing Journal
Awards and honours
2009, 2nd Place in the Sydney South West Area Health Service Prize for Excellence in Clinical Governance and Quality Improvement: ‘Handover Enabling Learning in Communication for Safety’.
2009, 2nd Place in the Sydney South Illawarra Area Health Service Prize for Improving Patient Journeys: ‘Emergency Care Through the Patient Eyes’.
2007, Awarded the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital young investigators award.
2007, Awarded the New South Wales Department of Health postgraduate scholarship.
2004, Awarded the New South Wales Department of Health postgraduate scholarship.
In the media
Equal but not the same, The Conversation
Eliciting functionality through health service design, Australian Design Review
Health services and management; General practice; Health policy
- Emergency Department Handover; Merrick E; University of Technology Sydney/Project Support.
- Realistic Evaluation of Clinical Handover Safety in Intensive Care; Merrick E; Baxter Healthcare Pty Limited/Research Support.
- Orphan Knowledge in Intensive Care Services; Merrick E; Western Sydney University/Project Support.
- Examining Complexity in Health Care Organisations, Australian Research Council Discovery Grant; Merrick E; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Research Grant.