Dr Michael Bowen
M02F - 88 Mallett Street - Building F
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 0786|
My research uses cutting-edge cellular and preclinical research techniques to discover and develop novel pharmacotherapies for serious brain disorders that currently lack effective treatments. Some of my most important work involves the discovery and development of novel pharmacological treatments targeting the brain oxytocin system that are aimed at substance-use disorders and social disorders, such as autism spectrum disorder. In other ongoing work, I am exploring the utility of targeting extrasynaptic GABAA receptors to treat a number of neurological and mental health disorders. More recently, I have joined the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics as the Research Coordinator and have begun exploring the therapeutical potential of novel phytocannabinoids for a number of disorders, including anxiety disorders and epilepsy.
Current research students
|Project title||Research student|
|Novel Small Molecule Oxytocin Receptor Agonists||Oliver TAN|
Awards and honours
2016 Winner - Eureka Prize for Outstanding Early Career Researcher
2016 International Behavioral Neuroscience Society Early Career Award
2016 Invited into The World Economic Forum’s Young Scientist Community
2016 Centenary Institute Lawrence Creative Prize (runner-up)
2016 Invited to give the Occasional Address at University of Sydney Graduation Ceremony (7thApril 2016)
2015 Early Career Researcher of the Year - NSW Premier’s Prizes for Science and Engineering
2015 Rita and John Cornforth Medal for PhD Achievement, University of Sydney Alumni Awards
2015 Australian Psychological Society Award for Excellent PhD Thesis in Psychology
2015 Finalist (top 3) for the Awards Australia Young Achiever Awards Science Leadership Award
2015 H. Tasman Lovell Medal for best PhD Thesis awarded in the School of Psychology, University of Sydney
2015 Bowen et al (2015) PNAS paper featured as the Editor’s Choice in the high impact journal Science Signaling
2014 Postdoctoral Travel Award - IBNS meeting 2014, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
2014 Postgraduate Publication Prize - School of Psychology, University of Sydney
2013 Glenn I. Hatton Memorial Award from the International Neuroendocrine Federation
2012 Graduate Student Travel Award - IBNS meeting 2012, Kona, Hawaii, USA
2012 Postgraduate Publication Prize - School of Psychology, University of Sydney
2011 Young Investigator Award – 9th World Congress on Neurohypophysial Hormones, Boston, USA
2011 Best poster prize – Sydney Mental Health and Neuroscience Theme Conference
2011 Finalist – Sydney University Three Minute Thesis competition
2011 Campbell Perry International Research Award – School of Psychology, University of Sydney
1. International Patent Application (PCT filed July 2016, CDIP ref #2015-038-PCT-0). Bowen MT, McGregor IS, Kassiou M, Hicks C, Jorgensen W. Therapeutic compounds and compositions for treating social disorders and substance use disorders.
2. Australian Provisional Patent Application 2015902659 (Filed 2015). Bowen MT, McGregor IS, Kassiou M, Hicks C, Jorgensen W. Therapeutic compounds and compositions for treating social disorders and substance use disorders.
3. USA Patent US9119805B2 (Granted 2015). Bowen MT, McGregor IS, Carson DS, Guastella A. Granted. Therapy and Prevention of Problem Drinking.
4. Australian Patent 2010302945 (Granted 2015). Bowen MT, McGregor IS, Carson DS, Guastella A. Granted. Therapy and Prevention of Problem Drinking.
5. European Patent EP2482835B1 (Granted 2014). Bowen MT, McGregor IS, Carson DS, Guastella A. Granted. Therapy and Prevention of Problem Drinking.
PhD and master's project opportunities
- Exploring the Role of delta subunit-containing GABA-A Receptors in Social Behavior; Bowen M; DVC Research/Bridging Support Grant.
- M Bowen Research Support; Bowen M; Faculty of Science/Research Support Grant.
- Oxytocin as a novel antagonist of the intoxicating and addictive effects of alcohol (2015-038); Neumann I, McGregor I, Clarkson A, Collins M, Bowen M; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Clever Sys Inc. SocialScan Suite software and hardware package for automated detection and quantification of complex rodent social behaviours; Bowen M, McGregor I, Dadds M, Hawes D; School of Psychology/Top-Slice funding under RIBG.
- From ‘BIG DATA’ to evidence: Post-market surveillance of psychotropic medicines in Australia; Schneider C, Pearson S, Karanges E, McGregor I, Buckley N, McLachlan A, Wilson F, Marshall N, Hunt G, Allsop D, Bowen M, Hunt C, Russell J, Abbott M, Lintzeris N; DVC Research/HMR+ Implementation Fund - University.
- Preclinical assessment of the potential utility of oxytocin and a novel oxytocin agonist for the treatment of substance use disorders and social dysfunction; Bowen M; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Early Career Fellowships.
- A Mouse Biotelemetry System for Stroke, Epilepsy and Sleep Research; McGregor I, Collins M, Grunstein R, Kassiou M, Bowen M; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.