Skip to main content

Transferring courses

Taking a new direction
Share this page

If you've decided you'd like to change what you're studying at the University of Sydney, you may be able to transfer to a different undergraduate degree or faculty.

There are many reasons you may want to transfer into a new course.

Perhaps your initial course didn’t meet your expectations, or you entered university with the intention of transferring to another course after the first year. The option to transfer gives you a second shot at your preferred course if you don’t quite meet the entry requirements to get in straight from school.

How to apply to transfer

You need to apply directly to the University, either to your faculty or to the central Admissions Office. Applications will open in May.

Either way, it is best to speak to your faculty first about options within your current degree. You may be able to structure your units to avoid a transfer.

If you decide that a transfer is the best course of action, your faculty can advise further on the process.

You may also be eligible for credit for previous study to carry across to your new degree. For advice, talk to the faculty that you are transferring to.

Undergraduate course transfers 

Internal transfers (processed by your faculty)

Some faculties list the course transfers that are allowable within their own faculty:

  • Arts and Social Sciences
  • Business School
  • Science.

To see the allowable courses you can transfer into:

  • log in to MyUni
  • log in to Sydney Student
  • select ‘My studies’
  • select ‘Course details’
  • select ‘Request course transfer’.

You'll either be shown a list of allowable courses in Sydney Student or directed to the relevant faculty to check if credit for previous study applies.

Transfers processed by the Admissions Office

If you find that your transfer cannot be dealt with by your faculty, you will need to apply directly to the University (not through UAC). Applications will open in May.

Your application will be processed by the Admissions Office. If your rank meets the course cutoff for that intake, and there are places available, you will receive a new offer from the University.

If you are an international applicant, you will be issued with a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Please note that not all courses are open to applications for Semester 2.

Assessment criteria

If you have completed less than 48 credit points at the end of this semester, your application to transfer will be based on your secondary school results (your ATAR or equivalent).

Once you have accumulated more than 48 credit points, your performance at university becomes a factor in determining your eligibility if it is better than your secondary results.

If you entered your undergraduate degree under an alternative entry pathway, any benefit you gained in addition to your ATAR does not carry across to your new application. 

When are new offers made?

In most cases, we will need to wait for your current semester results to be released. For Semester 1, offers are mainly made at the same time as the UAC Main Round in mid to late January. For Semester 2 entry, offers will be made in July.

If successful, you may be able to go into the second year of your new course, depending on the amount of transferable credit you are granted from your previous studies. For more details about credit, talk to your faculty. 

What about postgraduate? 

If you are a student in a postgraduate degree at the University of Sydney and would like to change what you're studying, visit Find a course and search for your course, then click on the "Apply now" button on the course page.


Transfer student
“Thanks to the option of transferring, I was able to move into computer science and technology after a couple of semesters, and I’m now on track to pursuing a career in my main area of interest.”

Contact us

1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
or +61 2 8627 1444

Student Centre, Level 3
Jane Foss Russell Building, Darlington Campus

Opening hours:
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday