Making a booking

The University hosts a wide range of events, including conferences, weddings, gala dinners, award ceremonies, memorials and exhibitions. Members of the public can hire University-owned venues if their event is in keeping with the University’s requirements (see restrictions).

Our venues are divided into general teaching spaces and non-teaching spaces. Venues classed as non-teaching space can be booked at any time during the year. They include the Great Hall, MacLaurin Hall, the Darlington Centre and the Medical Graduates Room. Teaching spaces are prioritised for classes during semester.

How to book

To make a booking, please contact one of our event coordinators at University Venues directly, and we will help you find and book the appropriate venue. When you apply to hold an event at the University of Sydney, a team member from University Venues will ask you to fill in the event application form with relevant risk management information.

The University Venues office is located at 22 Codrington Street, Darlington and is open from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Other venues

Venue Telephone Email
Sydney Conservatorium of Music, cnr Bridge & Macquarie Street, Sydney +61 2 9351 1203
Seymour Centre, City Road, Camperdown +61 2 9351 7680 Use the contact form on the website
Holme Building, Manning House and the Veterinary Science Conference Centre, Camperdown/Darlington Campus, Sydney +61 2 9563 6245

Outdoor spaces

Most of the University’s outdoor spaces are open to the public. There are several outdoor spaces that can be booked (for an hourly fee), but while a booking will ensure that no other event can take place during those times, we can’t guarantee exclusive use of the space and the area cannot be blocked for access. Outdoor spaces that can be booked are:

  • The Quadrangle lawns 1-4 (inside the Quadrangle)
  • The Front Lawn (in front of the Quadrangle, bordered by University Place)
  • The Quadrangle cloisters (inside the Quadrangle)
  • The Botany Lawn (beside the Macleay Building)
  • Cadigal Green (on the Darlington Campus beside the Old School Building)

Although Eastern Avenue cannot be booked, you can seek approval to hold an event in this area by contacting University Venues. Depending on what you are planning, there may be a hire fee and/or additional security charges.

Booking dates and times

The University’s core operational hours are between 7am and 7pm. If you book a room during these hours, the rate will cover the hire of University staff. For after-hours bookings, additional charges may be incurred if your event requires staff to work overtime. Teaching spaces can be booked only at certain times of the year.

During semester, teaching spaces are blocked for casual and external bookings until timetabling has been completed and all classes allocated. This means we may be unable to check availability of spaces until the Timetabling Unit has released the rooms for bookings.For Semester One bookings, you may need to wait until early March and for Semester Two bookings, you may need to wait until early May.

Bookings made during these times are allocated to a waiting list, so we recommend that you get your request in as soon as you can. The earlier requests are prioritised.

University staff can access a booking form on the Intranet for internal requests.


In all venues apart from the Darlington Centre you will need to organise catering. The Darlington Centre has its own in-house catering and does not allow external catering.

University Venues can advise on catering, including additional costs involved, and a list of preferred catering companies. You can select a caterer yourself, but they will need to:

  • be approved by University Venues staff
  • hold a gold license
  • complete the University work health and safety induction
  • sign a catering agreement
  • and provide a bond.

You can’t have catering inside lecture theatres and seminar rooms but we can help you find a venue with a foyer area that can be used for eating and drinking.

The Great Hall does not have a commercial kitchen. Instead, the Ante Room is used and caterers need to bring in all the equipment to be used. If additional power is required, this incurs a cost on top of the venue hire fee. Due to the heritage nature of the Great Hall there is a further cost for fire alarm isolation if catering will create steam inside the building.


Venue hire includes any of the accessories, equipment and furniture already existing in the room. A list of these items will be provided on confirmation of your booking.

If your event requires additional objects such as furniture and audiovisual (AV) equipment, you may want to bring in external providers. The University has a list of preferred suppliers, so please ask University Venues for this information when you make your booking.

If you need help using AV equipment provided in your venue, please call 9351 6000 (#16000 from internal phones) and select option 2.


The University does not allow religious ceremonies in its venues. This includes sermons (of any denomination), christenings and Bar Mitzvahs. Civil service wedding ceremonies are allowed. During semester (view the University calendar), weddings can only be held at the weekends to minimise disruption to the student and staff population.

If you are unsure, please contact to discuss your event.