This is the premier international degree program in Pain Management. It provides comprehensive and advanced education on the basic and applied sciences, concepts, and approaches underpinning our current understanding of pain, its assessment and management. The program is offered at Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma and Masters level.
About the Program
Established in 1996, the program has been offered completely online since 2000 allowing local and overseas students to enrol and participate without needing to attend lectures on campus at the University.
The program has been developed and is taught by Sydney Medical School’s Pain Management Research Institute (PMRI), based at Royal North Shore Hospital and the The University of Sydney's Kolling Institute.
Our teaching faculty is multidisciplinary and comprises over 50 experienced researchers and clinicians drawn from within the Sydney Medical School, other University of Sydney health Faculties, as well as from other Australian and overseas universities. All have national and/or international reputations in the pain field.
To date, almost 400 students have completed one of our degrees and many of these have gone on to become leaders in pain management and research in Australia and internationally.
Why Study With Us?
- Our program offers advanced, evidence-based and clinically relevant education in pain management
- Our diverse teaching facility and student group provides you with an opportunity to learn with, from and about other health professionals managing pain patients
- Build your competence and confidence in the assessment and management of a diverse range of pain problems
- For medical graduates it is an ideal step in preparation for specialist training in Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine, Critical Care, General Practice, Rheumatology and other medical fields managing patients in pain
- For other health graduates it is an ideal career pathway towards becoming an expert in pain and/or a leader in your professional field
- As an enrolled student you can access reduced registration to an optional two week face-to-face workshop at the beginning of each year which provides a comprehensive introduction to the course content and gives you an opportunity to meet pain experts
Our program was recently endorsed by the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), the leading international scientific body representing and supporting around 8,000 pain scientists and clinicians around the world.
Who is eligible to apply?
The program is multidisciplinary, which means it is open to medical practitioners, dentists, psychologists, nurses, pharmacists, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, and other health professionals who have an interest and involvement in the field of pain management.
More information about each of our programs and links to apply are available below:
- Graduate Certificate in Pain Management
- Graduate Diploma in Pain Management
- Master of Medicine (Pain Management)
- Master of Science in Medicine (Pain Management)
You can also choose to enrol in individual pain management units of study for professional development (non-award student) or as part of another degree (with the permission of your Faculty and University).