Skip to main content

Coming from overseas

Find the right visa to work at the University of Sydney

If you are coming from overseas to visit or work at the University, you need to obtain a valid entry permit (visa) before arriving in Australia or starting work.

Employer sponsored visas

Most visas used by international staff and visitors at Australian universities fall into the category of 'employer sponsored visas'. Employer sponsored visas may include work rights for accompanying family members, enable dependent children to attend school and offer a range of options in terms of period of stay.

Visas sponsored by the University

If you’ve been offered a highly skilled position by a faculty or administrative unit, you’ll need a Temporary Work (Skilled) subclass 457 visa.

Temporary visa (long stay)

If you’ve been offered structured or workplace based training or research, you’ll need a Research and Training subclass 402 visa: occupational trainee stream.

Occupational trainee visa

If you’ve been invited to collaborate on an Australian research project, you will be considered an “affiliate” of the University, and will need a Research and Training visa (subclass 402): Research stream.

Visiting academic visa

If you’re spending a short period of time in Australia and attend a conference or engage in research discussions or collaboration with University of Sydney staff, you will probably need a Temporary Visitor visa: Business Visitor stream.

Temporary visa (short term)

If you've been offered a permanent role or the University wishes to sponsor you on an ongoing basis for other business reasons, you'll need permanent residence through the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186).

Permanent residency visa

Unfortunately, not all positions are eligible for sponsorship (including casual professional positions), so be sure to check the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's Visa Finder for visas that might be available to you.

Non-sponsored visas

There are occasions when other non-sponsored visa options may be used by international staff members and visitors. These include student visas, secondary visas, partner visas, working holiday visas and temporary business (short stay) visas.

Detailed visa information

You can find out whether you are eligible for a visa type, how much it costs and an estimate of the processing time, in our Visa and Work Rights Policy (197KB PDF). Tables A and B give a summary of all the relevant visa types.

For more information on each of the visa types, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's Visa Finder.

Once a visa is granted, both the visa holder and the University as a sponsor have obligations to comply with. There are also internal forms and procedures you need to be aware of. Phone the Immigration and Relocation team on +61 2 9351 2000 or email for advice on complying with your obligations.