How are postgraduate nursing degrees structured?

Choose how you study with flexible course options

Our postgraduate nursing degrees are structured to allow students to fit study into their work and personal commitments. From part-time and full-time options, to online units and on-campus study days, here’s how postgraduate nursing degrees are structured at the University of Sydney.

Hear from staff, students and alumni about how to fit postgraduate nursing into your other committments

Choose from graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master’s level courses

At Sydney Nursing School, we give you the flexibility to study at a level suited to your needs, with many of our postgraduate nursing courses being offered at the graduate certificate, graduate diploma or master’s level.

The graduate certificate and diploma are embedded qualifications - meaning they will count towards the higher qualification should you decide you would like to expand your knowledge further. The units studied can all contribute towards the completion of the higher degree.

Students can also enrol in a master’s degree and exit out at the graduate certificate or graduate diploma level if other commitments come up.

Our postgraduate courses can be completed in as little as one year.

• Graduate certificate: 1 year part time
  • Graduate diploma: 1 year full time or 2 years part time
  • Master’s: 18 months full-time or 2.5 years part time
I started my Graduate Certificate in Cancer and Haematology Nursing, then had a break for a couple of years because I have children. I the came back and completed the master’s course.
Katrina Wilczek, Master of Cancer and Haematology Nursing, Lymphoma and Bone Marrow Transplant Long Term Follow Up Clinical Nurse Consultant, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital

Fit uni into your life with full-time or part-time options

For plenty of our students, university is one of many commitments. Whether you’re balancing work, family or life in general, many of our programs of study can be tailored to fit around your schedule.

Postgraduate nursing students at the University of Sydney can choose to study either part-time or full-time, with most of our domestic students choosing to study part-time while working. International students generally study full-time to meet the student visa eligibility requirements.

I work 12 hour shifts and initially I was a little worried that I would have trouble finishing all the assignments on time, but it’s been quite easy because a lot of the work is online, allowing me to study at my own pace.
Elliott Hough, Master of Intensive Care Nursing, Registered Nurse, Intensive Care, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital

Study in your own time with self-paced online study

All units are offered in intensive on-campus mode, giving students the opportunity to study in their own time, from a convenient location without having to attend class during working hours.

I really liked the freedom of online study balanced with the face-to-face study days throughout semester. Here, guest speakers, academics and other advanced practice clinicians would come to share their knowledge and expertise, which was always highly inspiriting, relevant and interesting.
Anja Ebker-White, Master of Emergency Nursing, Registered Nurse ED, Emergency, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital

Attend on-campus study days

Students are required to attend on-campus study days, allowing them to interact with their peers and lecturers face-to-face.

There are four on-campus study days per unit each semester. These on-campus study days are split into two blocks, with two units offered at the beginning of semester and two around the mid-semester point.

The face-to-face study days offer me the opportunity to interact with others and learn from their experiences. I have made connections with peers from other hospitals, states, and even countries, and their friendship and input has been invaluable. The encouragement from the teaching staff has helped me to really enjoy pushing myself to think in new directions.
Amanda Hunneybell, Master of Mental Health Nursing, Registered Nurse, Professor Marie Bashir Centre, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital