doctor and nurse in corridor

Why making a career change into healthcare could be right for you

6 reasons to follow your passions to a career in health
Health is one of the fastest growing sectors in Australia and around the world, particularly now during COVID-19. People are also more focused on living well, meaning nurses, pharmacists and allied health professionals are in constant demand.
Nursing student Tasila George

Nursing student Tasila George

1. Make a difference to people’s lives

Nurses, allied health professionals and pharmacists all play an important role in helping people prevent and manage chronic conditions and recover from injury or illness. If you choose this field, you’ll be helping to improve the health and wellbeing of individuals, families and communities every day.

"The most rewarding part of my career is seeing improvement in a patient from the time of admission to discharge and knowing that I had the opportunity to contribute positively in one way or another."

Tasila GeorgeMaster of Nursing (Graduate Entry) student.

2. Flexible career options with the opportunity for growth

In Australia, the health sector makes up about 10 percent of the workforce. This figure grows every year, meaning you will have diverse career prospects with growing opportunities at every stage of your career.

Work in the health sector is available in:

• Hospitals
  • Community organisations
  • Private healthcare practices
  • Pharmaceutical and drug development
  • Business development
  • Private sector agencies
  • Owning your own practice

Flexible work practices, such as changing hours or patterns of work, are often available for health professionals. And the traditional office with 9-to-5 hours is replaced by taking on roles in many of the above areas.

“Pharmacy is not only about drug supply, it’s also about working with other healthcare professionals. What I love is the learning environment that the hospital provides and the many career opportunities that are available.”

Carmen Ng, Master of Pharmacy graduate.

3. Work anywhere in the world

Sydney Nursing School alumnus Ruth Jebb has worked in countries around the world in disaster zones for organisations from Red Cross to AusAid.

Due to constant global demand, a career in health can set you up to work anywhere in the world.*

University of Sydney students are trained to think critically, be adaptable and globally aware - traits which serve our graduates well should they decide to venture further afield in their health careers.

“Thanks to my Master of Occupational Therapy degree, I have been able to work across many parts of the world. From providing humanitarian relief in Haiti, to conducting hands on training for local staff in Malawi, to raising awareness of the unique environmental and attitudinal challenges for residents living with disabilities in Mongolia.” 

Danielle Morante, Master of Occupational Therapy graduate.

4. You don't need to have a background in health to get started

Haven’t studied science and not sure you have the prerequisites needed to undertake a health degree?

Our graduate entry master’s degrees only require you to have completed a bachelor’s degree, it does not matter from which discipline. Our students come from a diverse range of backgrounds and their degrees are in many areas including: music, agriculture, business, event management, criminology, civil engineering and education, to name a few.

“I originally did a business degree. I started working in freight forwarding and logistics. One day I was sitting in my office and didn’t like what I was doing. I said I can’t do this for the next five years.”

Pardon Gondo, Master of Nursing (Graduate Entry) student.

5. Gain a health qualification in just two years

Our Graduate Entry Master's (GEM) degrees enable you to attain professional recognition in just two years. 

Our two-year courses build on your undergraduate education, preparing you for work in local, national and international healthcare settings. These degrees are to designed to equip you with the leadership capabilities, clinical skills and human understanding to make a big difference to the lives of individuals and communities.

Pharmacy graduate Jay Wu

Our graduates are among the world’s most sought-after employees – we are ranked first in Australia and fourth in the world for graduate employability.**

"The Master of Pharmacy offered me the opportunity to expand on what I learnt in my undergraduate science degree. I enjoyed being able to graduate in two years and being in a small cohort of students.”

Jay Wu, Master of Pharmacy graduate.

6. Your salary could be more than what you think

Salaries for health professionals are generally well above the median weekly earnings across Australia.^

Median health weekly earnings graph

*Please note that to work in other countries you will need to meet the registration requirements applicable in those countries.
** QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2017
Source: Australian Government Job Outlook

Are you ready for a career in health?

Our students and alumni get real about the moment they knew they needed to make a change, and how they pushed through their fears to find job satisfaction.

10 September 2019