Skip to main content

Tuition fees

Find out how to estimate your fees

Your tuition fees are calculated based on your residency status, your calendar year of study, and the course you are enrolled in.

You can find information about the tuition fees for your specific course in Find a course. You should also inform yourself of proposed changes to higher education changes to funding.

Annual reviews

All tuition fees and the Student Services and Amenities Fee are subject to annual reviews (and indexation, when required) and will increase for each year of your study, effective at the start of each calendar year.

Depending on your situation, you may also be eligible for loan schemes to assist you with your fees.

Understanding your fees

Our fees depend on what type of student you are.  See below.

Domestic students

You’re a domestic student if you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

Most domestic undergraduate students are offered a Commonwealth supported place in one of our courses. This means that your tuition fees are subsidised by the Australian Government. You will pay the remainder – called a 'student contribution amount' set by the University for your particular study.

To be eligible for a Commonwealth supported place, you need to be a citizen of Australia or New Zealand or hold an Australian permanent resident visa or Australian permanent humanitarian visa. Find out more about eligibility and how to calculate your student contributions.

Most Commonwealth supported students are eligible for HECS-HELP, a government loan scheme that if eligible, can assist with your student contribution.

Most domestic postgraduate students study in a full fee-paying place. The University calculates the tuition fees for single postgraduate coursework degrees based on an annual course fee that is subject to increase each year.

Fees are based on a full-time student enrolment load of 24 credit points per semester or 48 credit points per year (1.0 EFTSL). If your study load in any calendar year is more or less than 1.0 EFTSL your tuition fee will differ. Check the tuition fees for your specific course in Find a course.

The Australian Government does not subsidise fee-paying places. However, the government-funded loan program FEE-HELP is available to eligible domestic postgraduate coursework students to assist in paying your tuition fees. 

Commonwealth Supported Places for postgraduate courses

Some of our postgraduate degrees offer a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSPs) based on merit. You will automatically be assessed when you apply for a place in the course and your letter of offer will advise if you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place or full fee paying place. 

Commonwealth Supported Places are currently available in the following postgraduate courses for 2018. 

For exact course application closing dates and a complete list of courses with CSPs available search for your course at Sydney Courses.

Eligible postgraduate courses

Architecture and Built Environment

Arts and Social Sciences


Education and Social Work

Engineering and Information Technologies

Health and Medicine


Health sciences







The government-funded Research Training Program provides funding for eligible domestic Higher Degree by Research candidates to cover the cost of their tuition fees for the duration of an accredited course.

As a research student, it's also worth checking out our research scholarships.

International students

You’re an international student if you are a citizen of any country other than Australia and New Zealand, and not a permanent resident of Australia.

The University calculates the tuition fees for single undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (coursework and research) based on an annual course fee that is subject to increase each year. This makes it easy for international students and parents/guardians to understand the potential financial commitment for each year of study.

Tuition fees vary between courses and the calendar year that you undertake study. Fees for each course are based on a full-time student enrolment load of 24 credit points per semester or 48 credit points per year (1.0 EFTSL). If your study load for the year is more or less than 1.0 EFTSL, your tuition fee will differ.

International students who apply to study onshore need to pay an application processing fee (APF) of A$125. The APF covers one year (two semesters or four research periods).

You’ll need to pay the APF fee by Visa or MasterCard by completing the secure online credit card payment screen at the end of the online application form.

A surcharge of 1.53% percent will apply for payments made by MasterCard and Visa. More.

If you are unable to pay the APF via credit card, please contact your bank to obtain a bank draft. The bank draft must be made payable to ‘The University of Sydney’ and be made in Australian dollars (A$125). Please write your full name, date of birth and online application reference (IPU) number on the back of the bank draft and send to:

Manager, International Fees Team
Level 3, Jane Foss Russell Building (G02)
The University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia

Your application will be submitted once the original bank draft has been received and processed by the International Finance team. Scanned cheques are not accepted.

Waiving the fee

If you have paid the APF within the past year, you may be able apply to waive the fee. You will need to answer ‘yes’ in the application form to the question ‘Are you a current applicant at the University?’ and enter your student ID number. After we confirm your student ID number and the date of your initial APF payment, we will waive the fee.

You can request an APF waiver if you are:

  • a student who is currently enrolled or completing a course at the University of Sydney – answer ‘yes’ in the application form to the question ‘Are you a currently enrolled at the University?’ and enter your student ID number. After we confirm your student ID number we will waive the APF.
  • a student with a full scholarship – upload a copy of your financial guarantee letter in the scholarships section of the application form. After we verify your supporting documents we will waive the APF.
  • an applicant who has attended a recruitment event or roadshow and has a signed fee waiver form – after we verify your supporting documents we will waive the APF.

Students applying for distance education, non-award, exchange or cotutelle courses are not required to pay an APF.

When you are offered a place to study with us, you will be required to pay a deposit equal to your first semester of tuition fees, to secure your place formally and be eligible to apply for a visa. The total amount will be confirmed in your letter of offer.

Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia.

You will be required to pay or give evidence of your Overseas Student Health Cover when you accept your offer.

To help cover the costs of your study, check out:

Student Services and Amenities Fee

Most University of Sydney coursework and research students are also liable for the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF). This fee was introduced by the Australian Government to fund services and support programs at universities and is charged twice a year. Find out more about the SSAF and how it’s previously been allocated.

If you’re a domestic student, you may be eligible to defer all or part of your SSAF through the Government HELP scheme SA-HELP.

Paying your fees

We offer five ways to pay your course fees

Whether you’re a domestic or international student, you need to ensure payment is settled by the due date shown on your financial statement.

There are several ways you can choose to pay your fees, these include:

  • BPay
  • online
  • over the phone
  • mail.

You can pay in foreign currency through Western Union.

Find out more about how you can pay your fees.

Commonwealth Government changes to higher education funding

On 18 December 2017, the Australian Government announced a range of new changes to the funding of university students and the higher education sector, stepping back from a reform package it announced in May 2017. 

These reforms, which mostly do not require legislation to implement, will affect many different aspects of study in Australian universities, from the fees students pay, their access to loans, the repayment thresholds for debts under the Higher Education Loan Program, and the availability of Commonwealth Supported Places in postgraduate courses for domestic students.

The proposed changes do not apply to other institutional students or to students enrolled in or applying for higher degree by research programs (MPhil and PhD).

The Government is no longer planning to amend arrangements for New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents.  These students will remain eligible for Commonwealth Supported Places but only permanent humanitarian visa holders and NZ citizens who meet the long-term residency requirements will be able to access government loan schemes, such as HECS-HELP and FEE-HELP.

Further information on how the proposed changes may affect you can be found on the Study Assist - Higher Education Reform Package website.

Other financial factors

There are other costs to consider before you begin.

Student Services and Amenities Fee


Course equipment and textbooks

Living costs in Sydney