A group of performers standing together holding instruments.

Global performance opportunities take Sydney Con students abroad

5 September 2024
How studying at the Con unlocks unique international experiences
Sydney Conservatorium of Music students Sarah and Wesley talk about the unforgettable experience of performing overseas and explain how the international opportunities enriched their studies and their professional growth.

At the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, performances are not confined to the classroom. Rather, students have bountiful opportunities to extend their practice through international travel and exchange. Through these financially supported travel experiences, Con students get the chance to expand their horizons, both academically and musically.  

Jazz and Cultural Exchange in Vietnam

Sarah Vandenberg performing on stage.

Sarah Vandenberg performing in Vietnam.

For Sarah Vandenberg, a Bachelor of Music (Performance) student and talented jazz vocalist, a recent trip to Vietnam was an unforgettable chapter in her academic journey.  

As part of a group representing the Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Sarah performed for crowds at the launch events of the Sydney Vietnam Institute in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, showcasing her talent on an international stage.

“As I approach the end of my final semester at the Conservatorium, I’ve been reflecting on my experiences, and my time in Vietnam stands out as a major highlight,” Sarah shares. “I’m incredibly grateful for the opportunity and have learned so much along the way.”

Beyond performing at the official events, Sarah and her classmates had the chance to immerse themselves in the local culture by performing in local jazz bars, exploring the cities as tourists, and even recording their original compositions in a studio. 

“It’s hard to capture all the amazing moments, but I definitely recommend taking advantage of any overseas opportunity with the Con. It’s an experience that will truly enhance your academic and musical journey,” Sarah adds.

This trip allowed me to strengthen bonds with my peers and teachers while connecting with exceptionally talented musicians in Vietnam.
Sarah Vandenberg, Bachelor of Music (Performance)

Hannah James, an educator at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music who also attended the tour, emphasises the value of international experiences for students.

Students from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music performing at the Sydney Vietnam Institute Launch.

“Having students accompany us to the Sydney Vietnam Institute launch was particularly significant. Their presence is part of our commitment at the Conservatorium to integrating practical, real-world experiences into our students’ education, essential for their personal and professional development," said James.

"This provided them with a unique opportunity to engage with an international academic community, witness the establishment of cross-cultural partnerships, and understand the broader context of their studies."

A Summer of Opera in Chicago

Wesley performing on stage

Wesley Yu performing as part of the Chicago Summer Opera program.

Wesley Yu, a Master of Music (Opera Performance) student and graduate of the Bachelor of Music (Performance) degree at the Con, also had a recent international experience when he went to the United States to participate in the Chicago Summer Opera program and immerse himself in the world of opera. 

"This journey was a fantastic learning experience, offering me the opportunity to work with young musicians from all over the world and perform a role in a fully staged opera production. This experience helped me discover new possibilities in my performances” shares Wesley. 

As musicians, we are constantly learning from different experiences.
Wesley Yu, Master of Music (Opera Performance)

As with many of the international opportunities available to students, Wesley’s journey to Chicago was financially supported through the Conservatorium.

"I feel deeply grateful to have received the George and Margaret Henderson Scholarship, which supported me in participating in a summer opera program in the United States," Wesley says. 

This global exchange opportunity was more than just about performing for Wesley - it was also an opportunity for growth and learning through collaboration with other talented musicians in the United States. 

"This journey provided me with a chance to learn through communication with other participants, and it has definitely given me a deeper, clearer understanding of what the operatic world is like," he shares.

Mark a mark with your music overseas. Explore our Student Mobility programs.