Skip to main content

International students

Everything you need to know about studying at Sydney

Living and studying in Australia is an experience that you’ll remember for a lifetime, so make sure you’re prepared.

Academic requirements

Undergraduate students

Visit the Undergraduate admission criteria page to find out what you need to be eligible to apply.

Also, don't forget about other pathways to study for international students, such as our foundation program.  

If you miss out on admission to the degree of your choice, you can consider applying for a related course for which you meet the entry criteria and apply to transfer into your preferred course with your first year university results.

Another option is graduate entry in areas such as dentistry, law, medicine and veterinary medicine. You could apply for a general undergraduate degree and combine it with a postgraduate qualification in your specific field of interest.

Postgraduate students

Find out more about academic requirements for:

How to apply

How you apply depends on your qualifications and the course for which you are applying. We recommend that you apply as early as possible to allow yourself time to arrange things such as your visa, flights and accommodation.

Find out how to apply.


Enrolment is the process by which you secure your place in a course and choose your subjects for the coming semester or year. 

Find out how to enrol.

English language requirements

Depending on your educational background and country of origin, you may need to provide evidence of your English proficiency to be able to study here.

It’s important to understand English well enough that you can comfortably cope with lectures, tutorials, examinations, assignments and examinations. That's why our courses require a certain level of English proficiency (individually specified in Find a course).

If English isn't your first language, you’ll need to provide proof of your English proficiency before you can enrol here.

Find out more about english language requirements.

Visa information

If you're an international student, you will need to obtain a visa to study at the University of Sydney.

There are several different types of visa that might be suitable, each with conditions that you will need to understand in order to be eligible for enrolment.

Find out more about visa information.

Note: if you’re under 18 years old, you will need to make special arrangements.

Settling in

It’s important to familiarise yourself with living in Australia and understand your rights and responsibilities as an international student.


Get prepared for studying in Sydney

Finding a place to live

There are many lifestyle options to choose from when it comes to accommodation in Sydney. You can apply to live in one of several residential halls close to campus that offer affordable living options for Sydney Uni students, and there are lots of share-housing options, private rentals or homestays in nearby suburbs.

Once you’re enrolled you can browse ads for shared living accommodation on our database. This service also allows you to register for University residence halls on or near our campuses.

We can also give you advice about independently-run student housing, such as Sydney University Village, Urbanest on Cleveland, Stucco Student Cooperative Living and the eight private residential colleges.

Find out more info about our accommodation services.


There's lots to see and do in Sydney. The city has an extensive public transport network to get you around Sydney and to, and from, campus by bus, train, light rail or ferry.

You will need an Opal Card in order to use public transport in New South Wales. Find out more information on the Transport NSW website.

Getting to campus

Once you have found a place to live, finding your way to uni is the next step! There are limited parking options for drivers, so we recommend more environmentally friendly ways of getting to campus, such as cycling and using public transport. Find out how to get to campus and be sure to familiarize yourself with the quickest routes.

For more transport tips, refer to page 6 of the Post-arrival guide.

It’s important to organise a budget and prepare your expenses before departing for Sydney. Make sure to research and understand all the costs you’re likely to face as a student, including rent, groceries, travel, insurance and other living expenses. Check out the Australian Government’s overview of living costs in Australia, and find out additional information on our website.

Setting up a bank account

To set up a bank account, visit a bank and let them know you are an international student and wish to open an account. You will need to have with you:

1.     Photo identification (such as your passport)

2.     Proof of Australian address

3.     Proof of Enrolment

4.     Tax File Number (TFN) (preferable)

While you do not require a Tax File Number (TFN) to set up a bank account, you will be taxed heavily on the interest you earn in your account if you do not provide a TFN.

Help with budgeting

Once you know your base expenses, make a budget to keep track of your money. Talk to other students to find the most affordable places for things such as groceries, meals, clothes and other supplies. There are also lots of places in Sydney to find free or cheap entertainment – the best way to find out is to talk to locals and other students.

The Government’s Moneysmart website features a useful budgeting tool to help manage your weekly expenses.

It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This cover needs to be arranged about the same time you accept your offer to study.

As an international student at the University of Sydney your health insurance coverage will be managed by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Allianz. 

Accessing healthcare in Australia

IF you feel unwell, the first place you will usually go to is a general practitioner (usually referred to as a ‘GP’). A GP will be able provide a broad range of medical assistance, including check-ups, prescriptions, blood tests, sexual health and vaccinations. They will also give you a referral to see a specialist if required. You can visit a GP at their private practice or at a medical centre.

Remember to keep receipts of any GP visits to claim the rebate offered by your OSHC provider.

Health services on campus

There are several health services on campus, including general practice, optometry, dentists, physiotherapy and chiropractic services.

If you're planning to work in Australia while you're studying, you'll need to understand the details on how to get a job, and your legal rights and responsibilities.

Refer to the Fair Work Ombudsman’s website for information about working in Australia as an international student.

Our Careers Centre provides expert advice and useful resources to help you find a job and can provide other assistance. Remember, you will need a tax file number (TFN).

Read our Pre-arrival guide to find out all the important information you need to know about travelling to, and studying, in Australia, including things you might not have thought about including:

  • Travel arrangements
  • What to pack before you leave
  • Tips for staying safe
  • Setting up a phone and connecting to the internet

Childcare and schooling

If you’re a parent of a school-aged child, you will need to enrol your child in school while in Australia. Information about schooling, fees and childcare can be found at the NSW Department of Education website.

There are several child care centres on or near campus. The University’s Childcare information office can provide you with assistance finding childcare. Places are very limited, so you may need to look for other facilities in the local community.

There are lots of ways to get out and start making new friends once you're in Sydney. Welcome Week is your first chance to meet other students in your faculty, get involved in mentor programs and join clubs and societies.

Welcome Week

At Welcome Week, held each year in the week before Semester 1 commences, make sure to attend as many events and activities as possible so you can connect with fellow students and have all your questions answered before classes begin.

There are a number of events for international students, so be sure to refer to the website to find out when and where to go.

Clubs and societies

The University of Sydney Union (USU) runs one of Australia's largest clubs and societies program, with something for everyone. It's a great way to make friends and explore new hobbies and old passions.

Mentor programs

Whether you’re looking for someone to help you get settled-in, a study partner or a stepping-stone into your chosen career, we offer a range of mentoring opportunities at all levels of our student community. Mentoring is a rewarding experience that will help you make friends and flourish at uni. Find out more about faculty mentoring programs.

Welcome to Sydney

Enjoy the Sydney lifestyle at small and relaxed events hosted by our alumni through our Welcome to Sydney program. Held especially for first-year international and regional Australia students, it’s a great opportunity for you to make new friends from Australia and all around the world.

The University provides a wide range of on-campus support services for international students to help with things such as academic progression, basic visa compliance and navigating other services at the University.

Make sure you also refer to information about government services available for international students:

International Student Lounge

Run by the USU, the International Student Lounge (ISL) is a hotspot on campus where you can study, relax, meet other students and access a range of services and resources. There are lots of social activities with clubs and societies and regular sessions to help improve language skills. You’ll find it on level 4 of the Wentworth Building on City Road, Darlington.  

Join the community on the International Student Lounge’s Facebook group, and sign up to the newsletter for regular updates.

More information

If you have any questions, please contact our enquiries team.


1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864)
+61 2 8627 1444 (if outside Australia)


If you are a prospective student, and would like to ask about courses or making an application, please fill out a course enquiry form.

If you are a current student, and have a question about your enrolment or any other issue, make an enquiry online.

In person

To make an enquiry in person, you can visit the Student Centre on level 3 of the Jane Foss Russell Building (next to the Wentworth Building).

Open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Pre-arrival guide

Download PDF

Post-arrival guide

Download PDF