Marketing is a pervasive element in modern society and is increasingly vital to the success of private and public sector organisations. The program in marketing emphasises critical and analytical thinking and the practice of marketing as an applied science. A Marketing major will give you knowledge about consumer behaviour and purchase decision making, integrating theory and practice from many branches of the social sciences. Team building presentation skills, initiative and business planning skills are important elements of the program.
Requirements for a major in Marketing
For the award of a major in Marketing, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
- MKTG1001 Marketing Principles.
(ii) three compulsory senior units of study (18 credit points), as follows:
- MKTG2112 Consumer Behaviour
- MKTG2113 Marketing Research
- MKTG3118 Marketing Strategy and Planning.
(iii) a minimum of three senior elective units of study (18 credit points) selected from the following options:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- CLAW2212 Franchising
- MKTG2010 Marketing Channels and Logistics *
- MKTG3110 Electronic Marketing *
- MKTG3112 Marketing Communications
- MKTG3114 New Products Marketing
- MKTG3116 International Marketing
- MKTG3117 Services Marketing
- MKTG3119 Public Relations Management
- MKTG3120 Building and Managing Brands
- MKTG3121 Advertising: Creative Principles
- MKTG3211 Contemporary Issues in Marketing. *
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Marketing to include this unit as an elective for their major.
* Not offered for 2013.
Please check the Business School unit of study table in the Undergraduate units of study for details of the unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.