Quantitative Business Analysis
Quantitative Business Analysis introduces students to the quantitative methods they will need in order to thrive in the modern business world. Business Analytics is concerned with using business data to develop new insights and understanding. This involves being able to extract and summarise information from the rich data sets readily available in today's business environment; it involves being able to analyse this data in a way that leads to useful models of both the operations and the environment of a business; and it involves being able to respond appropriately as managers to quantitative information and quantitative models, and as such be able to make better business decisions. As well as being useful in their own right, these skills in business analytics will also enhance the effectiveness in the workplace of graduates majoring in other business disciplines. There is a range of electives offered within this major, so that students can select topics in business statistics, in operations management and in decision sciences.
Requirements for a major in Quantitative Business Analysis
For the award of a major in Quantitative Business Analysis, students complete:
(i) one junior prerequisite unit of study (six credit points), as follows:
- BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis (OR ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A) +
+ The core unit BUSS1020 substitutes for ECMT1010 for students in the Bachelor of Commerce and related combined degrees.
(ii) two compulsory senior units of study (12 credit points), as follows:
- QBUS2310 Management Science
- QBUS2810 Statistical Modelling for Business.
(iii) a minimum of four senior elective units of study (24 credit points) selected from the following unit options including at least two units with a QBUS 3000 code:
- BUSS2100 Business Placement A (Internship) #
- QBUS2320 Methods of Decision Analysis
- QBUS2330 Operations Management
- QBUS2350 Project Planning and Management
- QBUS2820 Predictive Analytics
- QBUS3310 Advanced Management Science
- QBUS3320 Supply Chain Management *
- QBUS3810 Business Risk Analysis
- QBUS3820 Data Mining and Data Analysis.
# Students must seek approval from the Discipline of Business Analytics to include this unit as an elective for their major.
* Not offered for 2013.
Please check the Business School unit of study table in the Undergraduate units of study for details of the unit prerequisites, corequisites and other requirements.